I can taste the plastic I drink water from

In summary: Anyway, I think the jury is still out on whether or not drinking out of plastic bottles is bad for you.In summary, if the water stays in a plastic bottle for a while, I can taste the plastic in it. Plastic flavor. The taste is as it smells.
OAQfirst
If the water stays in a plastic bottle for a while, I can taste the plastic in it. Plastic flavor. The taste is as it smells. Have any of you ever noticed this? Am I actually drinking plastic?

I don't find this taste in glasses or ceramic or metal. But it's definitely in the plastic and it's very gross.

Physics news on Phys.org
My guess would be that the flavour has more to do with it sitting for a while, rather than the plastic. When you drink water from a glass, you most likely drink it reasonably quickly.

As an experiment, try to get a glass bottle and a plastic bottle, leave them out for the same length of time, and then compare the taste (try to keep all other variables equal: lighting, heat, volume, etc.).

NeoDevin said:
My guess would be that the flavour has more to do with it sitting for a while, rather than the plastic. When you drink water from a glass, you most likely drink it reasonably quickly.

As an experiment, try to get a glass bottle and a plastic bottle, leave them out for the same length of time, and then compare the taste (try to keep all other variables equal: lighting, heat, volume, etc.).

I agree, unless he's keeping the bottle next to a heater or out in the hot sun.

Odors tend to cling to plastic. There is/was a special dish soap that claimed to help remove odor from plastic.

This is an observation over the last several years. I've eliminated everything I can think of. I even tried different kinds of plastic containers, old and new.

If it's cold water, I don't taste it. But once I use room temp water, the plastic taste is immediately present in the plastic containers, but not the other materials.

Try this.

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf048395j

I'm not the only one with this complaint. ThriftyFun reports "Cyclists' water bottles often come with a pungent plastic taste/odor." Though I'm familiar with their solution; it did little for my mouth.

WikiAnswers dismisses it as a visual psychological effect.

Ah, here's a page that reports plastic leaching chemicals into water. http://trusted.md/blog/vreni_gurd/2007/03/29/plastic_water_bottles

Last edited by a moderator:
Polycarbonate water bottles (hard plastic bottles) release BPA into the liquids stored in them. It has been recommended that hard plastic baby bottles be discarded and replaced with glass (or plastic bottles that are free of BPA). Google on BPA and plastic to see where this is going. BPA is known to have estrogen-like effects on mice at levels often less than those experienced by humans, though long-term human studies have not been conducted as far as I know. There is a study from last fall referenced in the linked article, but I haven't bothered digging up the paper.

And a new study, released today, looked at urine samples in Americans and found that the higher the level of BPA, the more likely they were to have diabetes, heart disease and certain liver problems.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26723119/

OAQfirst said:
I'm not the only one with this complaint. ThriftyFun reports "Cyclists' water bottles often come with a pungent plastic taste/odor." Though I'm familiar with their solution; it did little for my mouth.

WikiAnswers dismisses it as a visual psychological effect.

Ah, here's a page that reports plastic leaching chemicals into water. http://trusted.md/blog/vreni_gurd/2007/03/29/plastic_water_bottles
Did you read my post about the chemicals causing plastic to smell?

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Did you read my post about the chemicals causing plastic to smell?
That was English? :grumpy:

I can taste the difference between soda in a plastic bottle vs a metal can, so what you say sounds reasonable.

maze said:
I can taste the difference between soda in a plastic bottle vs a metal can, so what you say sounds reasonable.
Actually, cans are coated on the inside to prevent a metallic taste.
Many consumers find the taste of a drink from a can to be different from fountain drinks and those from plastic or glass bottles. In addition, some people believe that aluminum leaching into the fluid contained inside can be dangerous to the drinker's health.[6] The exact role (if any) of aluminum in Alzheimer's disease is still being researched and debated, though the scientific consensus is that aluminum plays no role in the development of the disease [7][8]. Aluminum cans contain an internal coating to protect the aluminum from the contents. If the internal coating fails, the contents will create a hole and the can will leak in a matter of days. There is some difference in taste, especially noticeable in beer, presumably due to traces of the processing oils used in making the can.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminum_can

I'm not sure I exactly buy that explanation though, as most people report beer tasting better in glass bottles than in aluminum cans. I'm still inclined to believe leeching in beer cans.

In a similar case, I definitely can sense a plastic taste on bread that has been kept in a plastic bag for several hours (a sandwich bag). Whether it's a taste or a smell may be in question, but that seems irrelevant; it really makes bread yucky.

maze said:

The cans are coated with polycarbonate. The soda bottles most likely are some other plastic

These uses create a myriad of exposures for people. Bisphenol A-based polycarbonate is used as a plastic coating for children's teeth to prevent cavities, as a coating in metal cans to prevent the metal from contact with food contents, as the plastic in food containers, refrigerator shelving, baby bottles, water bottles, returnable containers for juice, milk and water, micro-wave ovenware and eating utensils.

http://www.ourstolenfuture.org/NewScience/oncompounds/bisphenola/bpauses.htm

There is a recycle code on the bottom of most bottles.

http://www.thedailygreen.com/green-homes/latest/recycling-symbols-plastics-460321

http://www.ides.com/resources/plastic-recycling-codes.asp

I used to taste the plastic in cycling bottles, after a couple of hours or so. I don't taste it in the clear plastic bottles beverages come in, the ones with the "1" in the triangle (polyethylene terephthalate or "PETE").

Sometimes i can taste the water i drink plastic from.

You are tasting something that is leaching from the plastic. It could be a plasticizer, UV stabilizer, lubricant, pyrolozates of all of these and/or the base polymer, and unreacted monomer(s). The fact that you taste it (in reality you smell it while you consume it) suggests that it is a volatile or semi volatile component. It is likely an additive. Phthalates are the most likely suspects.

There are some brands of bottled water that I could taste the plastic in, so didn't buy them. It's been so long since I've needed to buy bottled water, though, that I don't remember which brands they were, and I don't know if they've corrected the problem since then.

What causes the taste of plastic in drinking water?

The taste of plastic in drinking water is often caused by certain chemicals and compounds found in the plastic material used to make water bottles or containers. These chemicals can leach into the water, giving it a plastic-like taste.

Is drinking water from plastic bottles safe?

In most cases, drinking water from plastic bottles is considered safe. However, the plastic material used may contain certain chemicals that can leach into the water. It is important to choose BPA-free plastic bottles or opt for glass or stainless steel containers to ensure the safety of your drinking water.

How can I get rid of the plastic taste in my drinking water?

There are a few ways to get rid of the plastic taste in drinking water. One method is to let the water sit in an open container for a few hours, allowing the chemicals to dissipate. Another option is to use a water filter specifically designed to remove chemical contaminants.

Can the plastic taste in drinking water be harmful?

The plastic taste in drinking water is generally not harmful, as most plastic materials used for water bottles are deemed safe for consumption. However, if you are consistently tasting a strong plastic flavor, it may be a sign of chemical leaching and you should consider switching to a different type of water container.

Are there any potential health risks associated with drinking water from plastic bottles?

There have been concerns about potential health risks associated with drinking water from plastic bottles, particularly due to the presence of BPA and other chemicals. However, the FDA has deemed BPA-free plastic bottles safe for use. It is important to stay informed about the materials used in your water bottles and choose BPA-free options to minimize any potential risks.