Estimate the density of the water

In summary, the problem is to estimate the density of water at a depth of 5.7 km in the sea, given the bulk modulus of water is 2.0 x 10^9 N/m^2. The homework equations provided are P=(rho)gh, P=(rho)B and B=dP/(d(rho)/rho). The student attempted to solve for density using these equations but was unable to due to missing variables. The expert suggests using the equation, ln(rho2/rho1)=exp((P2-P1)/B), and manipulating it to integrate and solve for density at 5.7 km. The student is also advised to consider the change in pressure at different depths and its effect
kritzy

Homework Statement

Estimate the density of the water 5.7 km deep in the sea. (bulk modulus for water is B=2.0 x 10^9 N/m^2) By what fraction does it differ from the density at the surface?

Homework Equations

P=(rho)gh=F/A=B(delta l/l)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have several equations above. I wanted so solve for rho using the first equation but I don't know pressure. I tried the second equations but I don't know Force or area. I tried the last equation but I would need delta l and l so basically I'm stuck. Some advice would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
kritzy said:
Estimate the density of the water 5.7 km deep in the sea. (bulk modulus for water is B=2.0 x 10^9 N/m^2) By what fraction does it differ from the density at the surface?

Homework Equations

P=(rho)gh=F/A=B(delta l/l)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have several equations above. I wanted so solve for rho using the first equation but I don't know pressure. I tried the second equations but I don't know Force or area. I tried the last equation but I would need delta l and l so basically I'm stuck. Some advice would be much appreciated.

Well they do say estimate. So maybe try to work it out assuming that p doesn't change?

(Yes it changes, but does it change enough to matter? See what results you get and then decide.)

LowlyPion said:
Well they do say estimate. So maybe try to work it out assuming that p doesn't change?

(Yes it changes, but does it change enough to matter? See what results you get and then decide.)

I don't understand. I'm suppose to be solving for p at a certain density. How can it not change?

kritzy said:
I don't understand. I'm suppose to be solving for p at a certain density. How can it not change?

Have you calculated it using a uniform p as to the effect it will have on a bulk modulus of 2 * 109?

In 6 km, the change in pressure is significant.

Here's something to get you started:

Use the equation,

B=dP/(d(rho)/rho)

Manipulate and integrate,

integral of (d(rho)/rho) = integral of (dP/B)

That results in,

ln(rho2/rho1)=exp((P2-P1)/B)

Where you can say state 1 is the surface, and state 2 is the state at 5.7 km down.

You can then use the rho*g*h equation.

1. How do you estimate the density of water?

The density of water can be estimated by dividing the mass of a given volume of water by that volume. This can be done by weighing a container of known volume and then filling it with water, or by measuring the volume of a known mass of water using a graduated cylinder.

2. What is the density of water?

The density of water is approximately 1 gram per cubic centimeter, or 1000 kilograms per cubic meter. This value can vary slightly depending on temperature and impurities present in the water.

3. Why is it important to know the density of water?

The density of water is an important physical property that is used in various scientific and engineering calculations. It can also provide valuable information about the purity and composition of a water sample.

4. How does the density of water change with temperature?

The density of water decreases as the temperature increases. This is because the molecules in water are able to move more freely at higher temperatures, causing them to take up more space and decrease the overall density of the water.

5. Can the density of water be affected by external factors?

Yes, the density of water can be affected by external factors such as pressure and salinity. For example, water at the bottom of the ocean is under higher pressure, causing it to have a higher density than water at the surface. Additionally, the presence of salt can also affect the density of water.