Calculating the Dielectric Constant of Cold Dilute Rubidium Gas

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the dielectric constant for a cloud of cold dilute Rubidium atoms. The participants mention the possibility of finding the calculation in Feynman's lectures and the book "Electric-Dipole Polarizabilities of Atoms, Molecules and Clusters". However, they also note that the calculation can be complicated and dependent on various factors such as frequency and temperature. They suggest using models like the Bloch equations to calculate the absorption and then using Kramer-Kronig relations to get the permittivity. One participant mentions the need to consider hyperfine structures and other factors like CG coefficients when dealing with alkali atoms.
wdlang
assume that i have a cloud of cold dilute Rubidium atoms

i know the atomic levels of the Rubidium atom

How to calculate the dielectric constant of this gas?

Which book can i consult?

Physics news on Phys.org

I think that in Feynman's lectures there is a calculation of dielectric constant for a gas.
I am not sure, I don't have the books now.
May be a good start.

nasu said:
I think that in Feynman's lectures there is a calculation of dielectric constant for a gas.
I am not sure, I don't have the books now.
May be a good start.

Thanks a lot. But i am afraid that his book is a bit not to details

Is there any book suitable for guys on cold atom experiments?

I don't think there is a "general" answer to how you calculate something as complicated as the dielectric constant, the latter is -in general- frequency and temperature dependent and what model you use will depends on which processes are involved for that particular frequency/temperature.
Rememeber that all absorbtion processes will also give rise to a change in the dielectric constant, so it is probably a good idea to first think about absorbtion and then worry about the dielectric constant.
It is fairly straightforward to e.g. calculate the change (and in some cases even the absolute value) if you can model your system as an uncoupled ensemble to two-level systems. The way to do this is to first calculate the absorbtion via the Bloch equations (textbook stuff if you are dealing with an ensemble of spin 1/2 systems) and then use the Kramer-Kronig relations to get the permittivity.
I don't know much about cold atoms, but presumably it should be possible to use a relatively simple model (maybe even just the Bloch equations) for the absorbtion and still get a reasonable answer, right?

f95toli said:
I don't think there is a "general" answer to how you calculate something as complicated as the dielectric constant, the latter is -in general- frequency and temperature dependent and what model you use will depends on which processes are involved for that particular frequency/temperature.
Rememeber that all absorbtion processes will also give rise to a change in the dielectric constant, so it is probably a good idea to first think about absorbtion and then worry about the dielectric constant.
It is fairly straightforward to e.g. calculate the change (and in some cases even the absolute value) if you can model your system as an uncoupled ensemble to two-level systems. The way to do this is to first calculate the absorbtion via the Bloch equations (textbook stuff if you are dealing with an ensemble of spin 1/2 systems) and then use the Kramer-Kronig relations to get the permittivity.
I don't know much about cold atoms, but presumably it should be possible to use a relatively simple model (maybe even just the Bloch equations) for the absorbtion and still get a reasonable answer, right?

Thanks a lot for the reply.

i find a book on the topic

"Electric-Dipole Polarizabilities of Atoms, Molecules and Clusters"

Alkali atoms are simple but not so simple as a two-level system. In many cases, you have to take the hyperfine structures into account. There are many stuffs like CG coefficients to care.

1. What is the dielectric constant of cold dilute rubidium gas?

The dielectric constant of cold dilute rubidium gas is a measure of the material's ability to store electrical energy in an electric field. It is denoted by the symbol "ε" and is typically represented as a dimensionless number.

2. How is the dielectric constant of cold dilute rubidium gas calculated?

The dielectric constant of cold dilute rubidium gas can be calculated by dividing the permittivity of the rubidium gas by the permittivity of free space. The permittivity of a material is a measure of its ability to store electrical energy in an electric field, and it is denoted by the symbol "ε". The permittivity of free space is a constant value of 8.854 x 10^-12 F/m.

3. What factors affect the dielectric constant of cold dilute rubidium gas?

The dielectric constant of cold dilute rubidium gas is affected by various factors, including temperature, pressure, and the concentration of rubidium gas. At higher temperatures, the dielectric constant tends to decrease, while increasing pressure can also decrease the dielectric constant. Additionally, as the concentration of rubidium gas increases, the dielectric constant may also increase.

4. How is the dielectric constant of cold dilute rubidium gas relevant to scientific research?

The dielectric constant of cold dilute rubidium gas is relevant to scientific research because it can provide insight into the properties and behavior of the material. It can also be used to study the interactions between rubidium gas and other materials, and to understand the behavior of rubidium gas in different environments.

5. What are some potential applications of knowing the dielectric constant of cold dilute rubidium gas?

Knowing the dielectric constant of cold dilute rubidium gas can have various applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It can be used in the development of new materials and technologies, such as the design of electronic devices and the development of new energy storage systems. It can also be used in research related to cold atom physics and quantum information processing.