Finding the Height of a Water Tank

In summary, the problem involves a tank of height h filled with water and a hole at its base. The water exits the tank at a speed of 6.93 m/s and hits the center of a pool located 19.5 meters horizontally from the tank. The goal is to find the height of the tank. Using the Bernoulli equation and considering the pressures and speeds at the hole and the pool, an incorrect value for the tank height was obtained. However, using the equation h=v^2/2g, the correct value of 2.45 meters was determined.
tsumi

Homework Statement

A tank of height h full of water with it's base 40 meters from the ground, with a hole on the lateral wall at the base. The water comes out of the tank at 6.93 m/s to fill a pool on the ground. The water hits the center of the pool at a distance of 19.5 meters measured horizontally from the tank. What is the tank height h? You can despise the variation of height of the tank while it is being unfilled.

Homework Equations

Continuity: A₁v₁=A₂v₂
Bernoulli: P + 1/2ρv² + ρgh = Cte
free fall of the water (previously calculated): y(t)= 40 -4.9t²
x(t)= 6.93t

The Attempt at a Solution

I used Bernoulli equation, considering that the point at which the water leaves the tank as a pressure P, is at h=40, and as a speed v=6.93, and the point at which the water reaches the floor as a pressure P₀ (1 atm = 1.013×10⁵), h=0 and v=28.843(calculated using the law motion of the water in free fall and doing the norm of two velocities: √(V²x + V²y) ).
With this I would find the pressure P, then I would do: P = P₀ + ρgh <=> h = (P-P₀)/(ρg).

But this way the pressure P results lower than the atmospheric pressure P₀, which make things impossible... what I think I was missing is the fact that as speed increases while the water falls, the pressure decreases.. so the value of the pressure when the water hits the floor must be lower than P₀, but I can't solve the problem this way =\

I would really apreciate some help thanks ^^

Physics news on Phys.org
You appear to be mixing stuff up. The problem asks for the height of the tank (from its base to its top) if the speed of the water exiting at the bottom is 6.93m/s (is this a calculated value or a given value?). Disallowing for extremely small variations in g with height, that exit speed is independent of how high the tank rests above ground; and depends only on the tank height, h, as measured from its base to the top of the water level in the tank. Also, you may assume that the atmospheric pressure is constant over those heights.

the speed 6.93 is a calculated value but is correct. I know the speed is independent from how high the tank is from the ground, so I tried it two ways. I'll write them down:

ρ= 1000
g= 9.8

Bernoulli at hole = Bernoulli when hitting the ground
P + 1/2ρv² + ρgh = P + 1/2ρv² + ρgh
P + 1/2ρ×6.93² + ρg40 = P₀ + 1/2ρ×28.843² + 0
P = 101260.801

the pressure at the hole is inferior than atmospheric...

Now without depending on height under the tank:

Bernoulli at surface of water = Bernoulli at the hole
P₀ + 1/2ρ×0² + ρgh = P₀ + 1/2ρ×6.93² + ρg×0
h = 2.45m which isn't the right value

the expected value for h is 12.8m

I can't see what I am missing =\

tsumi said:
the speed 6.93 is a calculated value but is correct.
I guess you may have included air resistance, because I calculate v =6.82 m/s
I know the speed is independent from how high the tank is from the ground
ok, so let's now ignore the height under the tank
Now without depending on height under the tank:

Bernoulli at surface of water = Bernoulli at the hole
P₀ + 1/2ρ×0² + ρgh = P₀ + 1/2ρ×6.93² + ρg×0
h = 2.45m which isn't the right value
assuming v =6.93, it looks like the right value to me
the expected value for h is 12.8m
that a high expectation
I can't see what I am missing =\
Nor can I.

2.45 m is correct. And bernoulli is unnecesarry as it can be solved energetically with h=v2/2g.

For h=12.8 the exit speed must have been around 15.83 m/s.

1. How do you find the height of a water tank?

To find the height of a water tank, you can use a measuring tape or ruler to measure the vertical distance from the bottom of the tank to the water level. You can also use a plumb bob or level to determine the vertical distance.

2. What is the formula for finding the height of a water tank?

The formula for finding the height of a water tank is: height = volume/area. This formula uses the volume of water in the tank and the cross-sectional area of the tank to calculate the height.

3. Can you use a pressure gauge to find the height of a water tank?

No, a pressure gauge cannot be used to directly find the height of a water tank. A pressure gauge measures the pressure of the water, not the height. However, you can use the pressure readings to calculate the height using the formula: height = pressure/density * 1/g * 1/Area.

4. What are some tools that can be used to measure the height of a water tank?

Some tools that can be used to measure the height of a water tank include measuring tape, ruler, plumb bob, level, and ultrasonic level sensors. The choice of tool will depend on the accessibility of the tank and the accuracy required.

5. How do you ensure accuracy when measuring the height of a water tank?

To ensure accuracy when measuring the height of a water tank, it is important to use the correct tools and techniques. Make sure the measuring tool is perpendicular to the water surface to avoid errors. Also, take multiple measurements and calculate the average to reduce any measurement errors.