Prove that x^4+y^4=1 is a manifold

• Thread starter andromeda2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Manifold
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that the set of points (x,y) where x^4 + y^4 = 1 is a manifold. The participants suggest using a stereographic projection and identifying open intervals that project back to give coordinate charts. The conversation also mentions a general method for proving that a set of points is a manifold and explains how it can be applied in this case. Finally, the conversation discusses constructing coordinate neighborhoods and proving that the set of points is a topological circle without appealing to the structure theorem. The participants then provide a smooth map and its inverse to show that the set of points is diffeomorphic to the unit circle.
andromeda2
Can someone help me out whit this
I proved for the circle, but I can't prove it for this

-Prove that x^4+y^4=1 (the set of points) is a manifold

For the circle it was easy, but how do I take on this case?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

how have you tried to prove it?

I was thinking about a kind of stereographic projection
but I didn't know how to do this

a kind of stereographic projection to create coordinate neighborhoods?

yes exactly
Do you think that this will work? Then I try it again

my guess is that you should be able to identify open intervals that project back to give coordinate charts. This would give you a differentiable manifold. You then need to argue that it is diffeo to a circle.

Let f(x,y) be any smooth real valued function, and a be a real number. Then, the set of points (x,y) for which f(x,y) = a and df/dx, df/dy are not both zero is a manifold.

In this case, f(x,y) = x^4 + y^4, and df/dx = 4x^3, df/dy=4y^3, which can't both be zero when f=1. So, yes, the locus of points you describe is a manifold.

That's a very general method. In this case you can show that the locus of points is diffeomorphic to the circle, as already mentioned.

gel said:
Let f(x,y) be any smooth real valued function, and a be a real number. Then, the set of points (x,y) for which f(x,y) = a and df/dx, df/dy are not both zero is a manifold.

In this case, f(x,y) = x^4 + y^4, and df/dx = 4x^3, df/dy=4y^3, which can't both be zero when f=1. So, yes, the locus of points you describe is a manifold.

That's a very general method. In this case you can show that the locus of points is diffeomorphic to the circle, as already mentioned.

right but the problem was to construct coordinate neighborhoods. An appeal to the implicit function theorem is not a direct construction. But there is more to it. Once you know it is a manifold you need to prove that it is a topological circle (without appealing to the structure theorem for 1 manifolds.) With coordinate charts this should be easy to do.

if A = {(x,y) : x^4+y^4=1} and S={(x,y):x^2+y^2=1} is the unit circle, then you can define

[tex]
\begin{align*}
&f\colon A\to S,\ f(x,y) \equiv (\lambda x, \lambda y),\ \lambda = (x^2+y^2)^{-\frac{1}{2}}\\
&g\colon S\to A,\ g(x,y) \equiv (\lambda x, \lambda y),\ \lambda = (x^4+y^4)^{-\frac{1}{4}}
\end{align*}
[/tex]

which are smooth maps and inverse to each other, showing that A,S are diffeomorphic.

What is a manifold?

A manifold is a mathematical concept that refers to a topological space that locally resembles Euclidean space, meaning that it looks like flat space when viewed up close. It is a fundamental concept in differential geometry and is used to describe geometric objects such as curves and surfaces.

How can x^4+y^4=1 be considered a manifold?

x^4+y^4=1 can be considered a manifold because it is a smooth algebraic curve in the two-dimensional plane. It satisfies the necessary conditions to be a manifold, including being a topological space, having locally Euclidean neighborhoods, and being Hausdorff and second countable.

What is the significance of proving that x^4+y^4=1 is a manifold?

Proving that x^4+y^4=1 is a manifold provides a deeper understanding of this particular algebraic curve and its properties. It also allows for the application of manifold theory and techniques to analyze and solve problems related to this curve.

What techniques are used to prove that x^4+y^4=1 is a manifold?

The techniques used to prove that x^4+y^4=1 is a manifold include topological and differential geometric methods. These may include studying the local behavior of the curve, finding a smooth atlas, and showing that the curve satisfies the necessary conditions for being a manifold.

Are there any real-life applications of proving that x^4+y^4=1 is a manifold?

While the specific application of this proof may not be immediately obvious, the concept of manifolds has numerous real-life applications. These include physics, engineering, computer graphics, and many other fields that deal with geometric objects and their properties.