Order to create a temperature profile.

• Thread starter mherna48
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Temperature
In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem involving creating a temperature profile and solving for T(x). The equation given is a heat equation with a coefficient of thermal conductivity, where x represents position, A represents cross-sectional area of the rod, T(x) represents temperature as a function of position, and \kappa(T(x)) represents the coefficient of thermal conductivity as a function of temperature. The conversation includes discussions about integrating the equation and solving for T(x) depending on the function of \kappa(T(x)). Suggestions are made to use numerical methods such as Matlab for solving the problem.
mherna48
Hi everyone,

This is a problem I need to solve in order to create a temperature profile. I have never encountered anything like this, and don't know where to start. Any suggestions?

[tex]A * \frac{\partial}{\partial x}* \left[ \kappa(T(x)) * \frac{\partial T(x)}{\partial x}\right] = 0 [/tex]

where
x : Position
A : Cross sectional area of the rod
[tex] T(x) [/tex] : Temperature as a function of position
[tex] \kappa ( T(x) ) [/tex] : the coefficient of thermal conductivity as a function of Temperature

I'm trying to solve for [tex] T(x)[/tex].

Physics news on Phys.org

Asterisks are multiplications?

Yes, not transforms. That would be insane. =)

Last edited:

Hello mherna48,

Since A is a constant it is divided away with regards to the right hand side. We are left with a derivative equal to 0, giving thus a constant as solution. This means we have (ordinary derivatives because only x is the independent variable and only x):

[tex]\kappa(T) \cdot \frac{dT}{dx}=\alpha[/tex]

In which [itex]\alpha[/itex] the first integration constant. Can you proceed from here?

coomast

coomast said:
Hello mherna48,

Since A is a constant it is divided away with regards to the right hand side. We are left with a derivative equal to 0, giving thus a constant as solution. This means we have (ordinary derivatives because only x is the independent variable and only x):

[tex]\kappa(T) \cdot \frac{dT}{dx}=\alpha[/tex]

In which [itex]\alpha[/itex] the first integration constant. Can you proceed from here?

coomast

Thanks for the help coomast.

I get it to be :

[tex]T(x) = \frac{\alpha}{\kappa(T(x))} \cdot x + C [/tex]

Is that right?

Can I multiply both sides by [tex]\kappa(T(x))[/tex] and square root the right side? Or is that not possible because of the constant?

Mmmmm, I get the following:

[tex]\alpha \cdot x + \beta = \int \kappa(T) \cdot dT[/tex]

In which [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] are the integration constants. You can further calculate the integral once you know the dependency of the conductivity with temperature.

Does this clearify things?

coomast

I am puzzled by this "[itex]\kappa(T(x))[/itex]" What is the reason for the first set of parentheses? Is [itex]\kappa[/itex] a function, so this is [itex]\kappa[/itex] of T(x) or is [itex]\kappa[/itex] simply a constant, so this is [itex]\kappa[/itex] times T (which I would write simply as [itex]\kappa T(x)[/itex]).

In either case, you can't just tread "[itex]\kappa(T(x))[/itex] as a constant as you seem to be trying to do.

If it is [itex]\kappa[/itex] times T(x), then [itex]\kappa T \frac{dT}{dx}= \alpha[/itex] can be written as
[itex]T dT= \frac{\alpha}{\kappa} dx[/itex]
and, integrating,
[itex]\frac{1}{2}T^2= \frac{\alpha}{\kappa}x+ C[/itex]

If [itex]\kappa[/itex] is a function of T, then
[itex]\kappa(T)dT= \alpha dx[/itex]
and, integrating,
[itex]\int \kappa(T)dT= \alpha x+ C[/itex]
essentially what coomast gave.

How you would solve that for T depends heavily on what function [itex]kappa[/itex] is.

HallsofIvy said:
I am puzzled by this "[itex]\kappa(T(x))[/itex]" What is the reason for the first set of parentheses? Is [itex]\kappa[/itex] a function, so this is [itex]\kappa[/itex] of T(x) or is [itex]\kappa[/itex] simply a constant, so this is [itex]\kappa[/itex] times T (which I would write simply as [itex]\kappa T(x)[/itex]).

In either case, you can't just tread "[itex]\kappa(T(x))[/itex] as a constant as you seem to be trying to do.

If it is [itex]\kappa[/itex] times T(x), then [itex]\kappa T \frac{dT}{dx}= \alpha[/itex] can be written as
[itex]T dT= \frac{\alpha}{\kappa} dx[/itex]
and, integrating,
[itex]\frac{1}{2}T^2= \frac{\alpha}{\kappa}x+ C[/itex]

If [itex]\kappa[/itex] is a function of T, then
[itex]\kappa(T)dT= \alpha dx[/itex]
and, integrating,
[itex]\int \kappa(T)dT= \alpha x+ C[/itex]
essentially what coomast gave.

How you would solve that for T depends heavily on what function [itex]kappa[/itex] is.

Thanks for the help guys.

[itex]\kappa(T(x))[/itex] is read as Thermal Conductivity as a function of Temperature, and Temperature is a function of position.

And yes, I see where I goofed on my calculation. I made a weird mistake and I don't know what I was thinking there. How would you integrate the right side of the equation, or in your case left side:
[tex] \int \kappa(T(x)) \cdot dT[/tex]

Is that even possible?

So what you are saying is that [itex]\kappa(T(x))[/itex] is a function of x. Obviously, how you would integrate that depends on exactly what function that is!

Hmm. I figured it wouldn't be easy. Maybe I can have Matlab solve it numerically. Thanks for the help everyone.

1. How do I create a temperature profile?

To create a temperature profile, you will need to collect temperature data at different points in a given system or environment. This can be done using thermometers, thermal imaging cameras, or other temperature measurement devices. Once you have collected the data, you can plot it on a graph to create a visual representation of the temperature profile.

2. Why is it important to create a temperature profile?

A temperature profile is important because it allows you to understand the temperature distribution within a system or environment. This information can be useful in identifying areas of heat or cold concentration, monitoring changes in temperature over time, and optimizing processes or systems for efficiency.

3. What factors should be considered when creating a temperature profile?

When creating a temperature profile, it is important to consider factors such as the location and number of measurement points, the type of temperature measurement devices used, the accuracy and precision of the data, and the duration of the data collection period. Additionally, the purpose of creating the temperature profile should also be taken into consideration.

4. How can I ensure the accuracy of my temperature profile?

To ensure the accuracy of your temperature profile, it is important to use reliable temperature measurement devices and follow proper measurement techniques. It is also helpful to take multiple measurements at each point to account for any variations. Additionally, regular calibration of the measurement devices can help maintain accuracy.

5. Can I use software to create a temperature profile?

Yes, there is a variety of software available that can help you create a temperature profile. These software programs allow you to input your temperature data and plot it on a graph, making it easier to visualize and analyze. Some software may also have features for data analysis and manipulation, which can be useful for more complex temperature profiles.