Relationship between momentum and acceleration, and force

In summary, the conversation discusses understanding physics in terms of relationships rather than just equations, specifically focusing on the relationship between acceleration and momentum of an object. The equation p=mv is mentioned and the attempt at a solution involves realizing that p is proportional to mass, acceleration, and time. The conversation also touches on the direction of the acceleration vector and the relationship between force and change in momentum.
Self-Help

Homework Statement

I am trying to understand physics in terms of relationships rather than just equations, hoping this site would help me, thanks!

So... You can expect lots of questions from me lol.

Okay so right now it is momentum and acceleration. Trying to understand what could be a qualitative relationship between acceleration and momentum of an object

Homework Equations

p=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize p[tex]\propto[/tex]mv
therefore p[tex]\propto[/tex]m * at

so since momentum is proportional to mass, acceleration and time, I am assuming when I have two momentum vectors - say, tail of vector p2 is attached to the head of vector p1-, acceleration vector of that object points in the same direction as the resultant vector of p1 and p2? By that order force is applied also in that direction?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Without a diagram it's a bit hard to follow you but I think what you're getting at it close. The acceleration vector points in the direction of p2-p1 (the difference, or change, in momentum).

Be careful though because v=at only for cases of constant acceleration.

I think you might find the relationship [tex]F=\frac{dp}{dt}[/tex] interesting. Basically, the force is equal to the change in momentum with respect to time. So, it makes sense that a force is in the same direction as the change in momentum.

If the mass is moving with uniform velocity, p α m only.
During the interaction of 2 momentum, you can consider the action and reaction forces.

1. What is momentum and how is it related to acceleration and force?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, determined by its mass and velocity. It is directly related to acceleration, as the greater an object's acceleration, the faster its velocity and thus the greater its momentum. Additionally, momentum is also related to force, as an object's momentum can only change if a net force is applied to it.

2. How does increasing momentum affect acceleration?

An increase in momentum will result in a proportional increase in acceleration, assuming the mass of the object remains constant. This is because the greater the momentum, the greater the force needed to change its velocity, resulting in a greater acceleration.

3. Can an object have a high momentum but a low acceleration?

Yes, an object can have a high momentum but a low acceleration if it has a large mass but a relatively low velocity. This is because momentum takes into account both the mass and velocity of an object, whereas acceleration only considers the change in velocity.

4. How does force affect an object's momentum?

Force is directly related to an object's momentum, as an unbalanced force acting on an object will cause its momentum to change. The greater the force applied, the greater the change in momentum. This is described by Newton's Second Law, which states that force is equal to the change in momentum over time.

5. Can an object have a velocity of zero but still have momentum?

Yes, an object can have a velocity of zero but still have momentum if it has a non-zero mass. This is because momentum takes into account both the mass and velocity of an object, so even if an object is not moving, it still has a momentum value based on its mass.