Material for a high transmittance Prism and where to Buy

In summary, the conversation discusses a science fair project that focuses on concentrating and separating sunlight into three sections - visible light, infrared light, and other wavelengths. The speaker is looking for ideas on how to disperse the light and mentions using a glass prism but learns that regular glass absorbs infrared. They ask if there are special prisms for more than just the visible spectrum and if so, where to purchase one. A suggestion is made for using a diffraction grating, which the speaker had not considered before. They also mention wanting to conserve energy and ask if using a diffraction grating would cause energy loss. The conversation concludes with the understanding that it is the speaker's project and they should find answers on their own. It is suggested to
InventiveGuy
I am working on a science fair project that will concentrate sunlight and then separate it into 3 sections, visible light, infrared light, and everything else (ex. UV). Each will have its own use. I was wondering how to do about the dispersion of the light. I was originally going to use a glass prism but learned that regular glass absorbs infrared.

Are there special prisms designed for more than just the visible spectrum? If so, where i could buy one?
Also any other ideas on how i could separate the light would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might look up "diffraction grating". That should be enough of a hint.

Thankyou for the quick response, i had completely overlooked diffraction gratings.

I am wanting to conserve as much of the energy as i can. If i was to use a diffraction grating, would i loose much of the energy?

At the risk of sounding rude, this is your project. It wouldn't be right for us to answer all of your questions.

Fair Enough, thankyou anways

Quartz has good UV transmission.

1. What is a high transmittance prism?

A high transmittance prism is a type of optical component that is designed to efficiently transmit light through its surfaces. It is typically made of a transparent material, such as glass or plastic, and is used in a variety of scientific and industrial applications.

2. What materials are commonly used for high transmittance prisms?

The most commonly used materials for high transmittance prisms are optical glasses, such as BK7, fused silica, and sapphire. These materials have high transparency in the visible and near-infrared regions of the electromagnetic spectrum.

3. How can I determine the transmittance of a prism?

The transmittance of a prism can be determined by measuring the amount of light that passes through the prism compared to the amount of light that enters it. This can be done using a spectrophotometer or other optical measurement equipment.

4. Where can I buy high transmittance prisms?

High transmittance prisms can be purchased from a variety of sources, such as scientific supply companies, optical component manufacturers, and online retailers. It is important to ensure that the supplier has a good reputation and provides high-quality products.

5. What factors should I consider when selecting a supplier for high transmittance prisms?

When selecting a supplier for high transmittance prisms, it is important to consider factors such as the quality and consistency of their products, their customer service and support, and their pricing and delivery options. It is also a good idea to read reviews and ask for recommendations from other scientists or colleagues.