Uncovering the Truth: Exploring Career Satisfaction and Success Through a Poll

• Thread starter NotoriousNick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career Poll
In summary, the conversation discusses the factors that influence career choices and success. It touches on the importance of long-term benefits, hard work, and luck in achieving success. The role of technical skills versus sales and marketing in the business world is also discussed.
NotoriousNick
can I take a poll?

What industry do you work in?
What's your degree?
Are you a middle manager?
Are you satisfied with your job?
Why did you choose your job?I work in energy services right now, while finishing my MSEE. I have managers around me that are engineers that I work with that are miserable with their job.

We all have different reasons, circumstances, goals, ambitions, family reasons, situations for taking jobs, My impression is that for those that have choices open to them, and are career oriented, many choose to work for a company that will offer them the most long-term benefit to their career.

How many people enter a position thinking they could work their way to the top?
It doesn't seem to me that this actually happens. Everyone at the top, from what I'm understanding, is usually a lawyer, a finance person, or went to state school for marketing and helped the founder.

I want to be on top of the world, I want to dig in deep, and make millions. Obviously I can't imagine any company wanting to pay me a salary over 200k. How could I possibly be worth more than that to a company? And I really don't want to be the slave to a company. I don't particularly care for slavery, in fact, it makes me sick. Although I see it around me all the time.

It's just slightly ironic to me, that we are the smart guys right? We busted are butts in the library for HOURS AND DAYS AND WEEKS, so that we can be managed by the bozos who were out on the lawn playing frisbee ?

Maybe that's not totally true. In fact, I don't believe it to be true. But I suppose the point I'm trying to illustrate here is that as scientists, maybe we tend to think that there are formulas for success just like there are formulas for everything else. Somehow, equilibrium will prevail in the equation of success, and the variable called hard-work will pay off. However, let's face it, the world works in mysterious ways, and quite often that strange hand we call luck plays a large role.
The movers, the shakers, the makers, the creators, the ones who take the risk, and reap the rewards, are they the ones that reap the most?

Or is it the ones who are dilligent, and put in immeasurable amounts of work, and can calculate the most technical of ideas.

Physics news on Phys.org
The world belongs to the salesmen and the marketers.

Technical people are of secondary importance. The company needs a product to sell, but it doesn't really need to be a particularly good product. A company with great marketing and sales will beat a company with a great product every single time.

Thank you for your response and for sharing your personal experiences and thoughts on career satisfaction and success. Your perspective as a scientist is valuable and provides insight into the complexities of the working world.

I agree that we tend to believe in formulas and equations for success, but as you mentioned, luck and other factors can play a significant role in our career paths. It is also interesting to consider the role of risk-taking in achieving success and how it differs from hard work and diligence.

Taking a poll on career satisfaction and success would be a great way to gather data and insights from individuals in various industries and positions. It could provide valuable information on the different factors that contribute to job satisfaction and success, and how they may vary among different groups of people. It would also be interesting to see if there are any patterns or trends that emerge from the data.

Thank you for your thought-provoking response and for considering the idea of taking a poll. I believe it could be a valuable tool in uncovering the truth about career satisfaction and success.

1. What is the purpose of this poll?

The purpose of this poll is to gather data and insights on career satisfaction and success from a diverse group of individuals in various industries and positions.

2. Who can participate in this poll?

Anyone who is currently employed or has been employed in the past can participate in this poll. We welcome responses from individuals in all career fields and at all levels of experience.

3. How will the data from this poll be used?

The data from this poll will be analyzed and used to identify trends and patterns in career satisfaction and success. It will also be used to inform future research and potentially provide insights for individuals seeking to make career decisions.

4. Is the poll anonymous?

Yes, all responses to this poll are completely anonymous. We do not ask for any identifying information and all data will be reported in aggregate form.

5. How long will the poll be open for responses?

The poll will be open for responses for one month. After that, data analysis will begin and the results will be shared with the public.