Direction of Torque: Understanding the Basics

In summary, the direction of torque can be described as clockwise or counterclockwise, but using an axial vector (such as the +ve or -ve z axis) is a more robust and universally understood method. The right hand rule is used to determine the direction of the torque, with the +ve z axis indicating a counterclockwise rotation. It is not necessary to know that torque is a cross product of position vector and force vector, only the right hand rule convention.
Amar.alchemy
Hi,

Let us assume that I apply some amount of force at the end of the wrench to loosen a nut. This force makes the wrench to rotate in clockwise direction. So the direction of the torque should also be in clockwise direction.
However, we usually use the definition of cross product to determine the direction of Torque ie if both position vector and Force vector are in the xy plane then the direction of Torque will be either +ve z-axis or -ve axis depending upon the rotation of the body.
My confusion is why can't we say the direction of the torque is in clockwise direction or counter clockwise direction?? What exactly it means if we say the direction of the torque is along +ve z axis or -ve z axis??

Physics news on Phys.org
Amar.alchemy said:
My confusion is why can't we say the direction of the torque is in clockwise direction or counter clockwise direction??
For some purposes, it's perfectly OK to describe the torque as clockwise or counterclockwise. But what if you were looking at the wrench from the other side? Describing torque using an axial vector is more robust.
What exactly it means if we say the direction of the torque is along +ve z axis or -ve z axis??
Use the right hand rule to interpret the direction of the torque. If the torque is along the +ve z axis, that means that looking down (towards the -ve z direction) the torque would be counterclockwise.

See: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/tord.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Doc Al said:
For some purposes, it's perfectly OK to describe the torque as clockwise or counterclockwise. But what if you were looking at the wrench from the other side? Describing torque using an axial vector is more robust.

Use the right hand rule to interpret the direction of the torque. If the torque is along the +ve z axis, that means that looking down (towards the -ve z direction) the torque would be counterclockwise.

So when i say someone that the direction of torque is along the +ve z axis then it is necessary for him to know that torque is a cross product of positon vector and Force vector otherwise he can't tell whether it is clockwise or counter clockwise. Is my understanding correct??

And one more thing, in the thread I'm not able to view second paragragh of ur post, i saw it when i clicked "quote" button...

Amar.alchemy said:
So when i say someone that the direction of torque is along the +ve z axis then it is necessary for him to know that torque is a cross product of positon vector and Force vector otherwise he can't tell whether it is clockwise or counter clockwise. Is my understanding correct??
No, all they have to know is the right hand rule convention for defining torque. (See the link in my last post.)

And one more thing, in the thread I'm not able to view second paragragh of ur post, i saw it when i clicked "quote" button...
That's probably because I was editing it while you were responding. You should be able to see it now.

ya, Thanks i got it :smile:

1. What is torque?

Torque is defined as the measure of a force's tendency to rotate an object around an axis or pivot point. It is typically measured in units of newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

2. How is torque related to force and distance?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by its distance from the pivot point. This means that increasing either the force or the distance will result in an increase in torque.

3. What is the direction of torque?

The direction of torque is determined by the direction of the force applied to an object and the direction of its distance from the pivot point. If the force is applied perpendicular to the distance, the torque will be in the same direction as the force. If the force is applied at an angle to the distance, the torque will be in a direction that is perpendicular to both the force and the distance.

4. How does torque affect rotational motion?

Torque is responsible for causing rotational motion in an object. If the torque applied to an object is greater than its resistance to rotation, it will begin to rotate. The direction of the rotation will be determined by the direction of the torque.

5. What factors affect the direction of torque?

The direction of torque is affected by the direction of the force applied, the direction of the distance from the pivot point, and the angle between the force and the distance. Additionally, the shape and orientation of the object being rotated can also affect the direction of torque.