Maxwell 2D eddy current solver

In summary, a user is using Maxwell SV for modeling the magnetic field inside a solenoid coil with an AC source. They are using the eddy current solver and are unsure if the H field in the post processor is computing induced magnetic field due to eddy currents or the overall magnetic field intensity. They also mention having issues with the color key in the post processor, which appears black or with some colors blacked out. They ask if anyone else has experienced this issue and suggest trying to set the computer to 256 colors. However, after trying this, they find that the color key works properly when running the program in a Windows 2000 virtual machine, indicating that the solution could be generated under XP and transferred to the virtual machine
Jedi1234
Hello,

I am using Maxwell SV to model the magnetic field inside a solenoid coil. I am currently using the eddy current solver as I have an AC source (167 kHz). When I map the H field in the post processor is the software computing induced magnetic field due to eddy currents in the conductor or the overall magnetic field intensity?

My other question is somewhat unrelated. I was having problems with my color key in the post processor which appears completely black or with some of the colors blacked out. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi - I am not solving for Eddy currents and the colour index is not showing black BUT most of the colours are mixed and unusable. Has anyone else seen this? I would like to try setting my PC to 256 colours in case that helps but my current video card will not go lower than 16 bit colour.

Update: the color key works properly running the program in a Windows 2000 virtual machine on my normal XP PC. It is even likely that the solution could be generated under XP and the solved files mirrored across into the Win2k virtual machine.

Setting the program to compatibility mode for Win2k and (separately) setting compatability mode to 256 colour under XP did NOT work to fix the colour key.

1. What is the Maxwell 2D eddy current solver?

The Maxwell 2D eddy current solver is a software tool used for simulating and analyzing the behavior of electromagnetic fields in 2D structures. It uses finite element analysis (FEA) to solve Maxwell's equations and calculate the distribution of electric and magnetic fields, currents, and losses in conductive materials.

2. How does the Maxwell 2D eddy current solver work?

The Maxwell 2D eddy current solver uses a numerical method known as finite element analysis. This involves dividing the 2D structure into small elements and using mathematical equations to predict the behavior of electromagnetic fields within each element. These equations are then solved to obtain the overall behavior of the structure.

3. What types of problems can be solved using the Maxwell 2D eddy current solver?

The Maxwell 2D eddy current solver can be used to solve a wide range of problems related to electromagnetic fields and conductive materials. Some common applications include modeling transformers, inductors, motors, and generators, as well as analyzing the effects of eddy currents on the performance of these devices.

4. How accurate is the Maxwell 2D eddy current solver?

The accuracy of the Maxwell 2D eddy current solver depends on several factors, such as the complexity of the problem, the size of the mesh used, and the material properties specified. Generally, it provides accurate results for most engineering applications, but it is always recommended to validate the results with experimental data.

5. What are the benefits of using the Maxwell 2D eddy current solver?

The Maxwell 2D eddy current solver offers several benefits, including the ability to accurately predict the behavior of electromagnetic fields in complex 2D structures, faster simulation times compared to other methods, and the ability to visualize and analyze the results in a user-friendly interface. It also allows for easy optimization and design of devices to improve performance and efficiency.