The Flyby Anomaly: Ranging Data, Transverse Doppler Effect

In summary, the flyby anomaly is still called an anomaly even though there is a plausible explanation for it, and the paper's authors may have made a mistake.
ideasrule
Homework Helper
One paper claims that the flyby anomaly only exists because NASA scientists forgot about the transverse Doppler effect. If that's true, why is it still called an anomaly? Why isn't everyone banging their heads on walls and thinking, "D'oh! I can't believe I forgot about that!"? If it's not true, did the paper's authors make a mistake?

According to the Wikipedia article on the flyby anomaly, under the "Possible explanations" section:

"Unaccounted Transverse Doppler effect, i.e. the redshift of light source with zero radial and non-zero tangential velocity[1]. However, this cannot explain the similar anomaly in the ranging data, or the possibly related Pioneer anomaly."

What ranging data? Why don't other websites mention it? I'm quite confused.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm surprised they consider a few mm/sec all that notable considering all the variables they can hardly predict well, like the charge of the Earth, the charge on the spacecraft , the current makeup of the ionosphere, solar wind, temperature of the ionosphere, induced currents in the spacecraft metal, etc. Granted most of these are probably negligible, but its just my first guess.

NASA's biggest anomaly was forgetting to use MKS units instead of English units in calculating thrust (Newtons instead of slugs or whatever) for the Mars Climate Orbiter in 1999. On this scale, a few mm/sec is in the noise.

fleem said:
I'm surprised they consider a few mm/sec all that notable considering all the variables they can hardly predict well, like the charge of the Earth, the charge on the spacecraft , the current makeup of the ionosphere, solar wind, temperature of the ionosphere, induced currents in the spacecraft metal, etc. Granted most of these are probably negligible, but its just my first guess.

I think the data is good enough to suggest an anomaly exists. See these graphs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AntreasianGuinn199803b.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AntreasianGuinn199803a.jpg

which plot anomaly vs. time. Both unmistakably show an anomaly.

Last edited by a moderator:
ideasrule said:
One paper claims that the flyby anomaly only exists because NASA scientists forgot about the transverse Doppler effect. If that's true, why is it still called an anomaly? Why isn't everyone banging their heads on walls and thinking, "D'oh! I can't believe I forgot about that!"? If it's not true, did the paper's authors make a mistake?

According to the Wikipedia article on the flyby anomaly, under the "Possible explanations" section:

"Unaccounted Transverse Doppler effect, i.e. the redshift of light source with zero radial and non-zero tangential velocity[1]. However, this cannot explain the similar anomaly in the ranging data, or the possibly related Pioneer anomaly."

What ranging data? Why don't other websites mention it? I'm quite confused.

Apparently, this so called fly by 'anomaly' is NOT an anomaly after all, as long as you take into account the transverse doppler effect (which arises from the addition of velocities of Earth and satellite.)

Initially the ranging data (derived from time delay measurements) also contained the 'anomalous" measurements...but BOTH velocity and ranging anomalies were resolved completely by J. Mbelek simply by including the transverse effect into the calculations...

See here: http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0809/0809.1888.pdf

It is probably simply an oversight by Anderson et al, but...
Sometimes I think it may be easier to teach special relativity to 3rd graders than to get these 'anomaly guys' to admit their mistake. :biggrin:

Creator

Creator said:
Initially the ranging data (derived from time delay measurements) also contained the 'anomalous" measurements...but BOTH velocity and ranging anomalies were resolved completely by J. Mbelek simply by including the transverse effect into the calculations...

See here: http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0809/0809.1888.pdf

OK, so the Wikipedia article is in need of fixing. Since you know more than I do, can you correct the article?

I want to react about the transverse Doppler shift proposed by Mbelek. His explanation is rather naive. The JPL formulation of doppler and ranging "computed observables" takes into account already this effect and many more !

Read the book of Moyer where you can find all the explanations. The doppler shift is computed from the time derivative of the two-ways round-trip signal in a pure general relativistic way.

To see the explicit look of the formula used, see Linet & Teyssandier, Physical Review D, vol. 66, Issue 2, id. 024045, 2002
the Mbelek term is only "the second term" of these formula. So...

I don't think the transverse doppler effect is sufficient to account for the flyby anomaly, nor does NASA - and trust me, NASA scientists are a pretty bright collection of guys and gals. It may, however, be a component of a larger set of error bars.

1. What is the Flyby Anomaly?

The Flyby Anomaly, also known as the Pioneer Anomaly, is a phenomenon observed in the trajectory of spacecraft that have flown by certain planets. It refers to a small but unexplained acceleration that affects the spacecraft and causes it to deviate from its expected path.

2. How is the Flyby Anomaly measured?

The Flyby Anomaly is measured through ranging data, which is collected by tracking the spacecraft's position and velocity using radio signals. These signals are sent from the spacecraft and received by Earth-based antennas, allowing scientists to calculate the spacecraft's distance from Earth and its velocity.

3. What is the Transverse Doppler Effect?

The Transverse Doppler Effect is a change in the frequency of a signal caused by the relative motion between the source of the signal and the observer. In the case of the Flyby Anomaly, it refers to the change in frequency of the radio signals between the spacecraft and Earth due to their relative motion during the flyby.

4. How does the Transverse Doppler Effect relate to the Flyby Anomaly?

The Transverse Doppler Effect is one of the possible explanations for the Flyby Anomaly. Some scientists believe that the change in frequency of the radio signals during the flyby could be causing an error in the ranging data, leading to the observed anomaly in the spacecraft's trajectory.

5. What are some possible explanations for the Flyby Anomaly?

Aside from the Transverse Doppler Effect, there are other proposed explanations for the Flyby Anomaly, including gravitational pull from unknown objects or dark matter, or even errors in the spacecraft's thruster system. However, these explanations have not been proven and the Flyby Anomaly remains a mystery in the field of space science.