Solve Mistake in Limits Problem: Find a & b for Equation Satisfaction

• Thread starter WiFO215
  • Start date
In summary: When summing limits like this, remember that the limit across the functions will be the same as the limit as a single function. In this case, the limit across the functions is LimX-->Yf(x) + LimX-->Yg(x) = LimX-->Yf(x) + LimX-->Yg(x).
WiFO215
I was given this review problem in limits.

LimX --> inf. (1 - X + X2)1/2 - aX - b = 0.

I was asked to find a and b such that the above equation is satisfied, which I did as follows:

I removed an X from the entire thing and expanded the term in the brackets using binomial theorem. I get a = 1 and b = -1/2 which is the answer given in the text.

But here's what is bothering me. I did the sum another way and got a different answer and can't put my finger on the mistake.
I remove an X from the root term. And I split the limit across the functions since

Lim X-->Y f(x) + g(x) = Lim X-->Y f(x) + Lim X-->Yg(x)

Lim X-->Yf(x).g(x) = Lim X-->Yf(x) . Lim X-->Y g(x)

This gives me

LimX --> inf. X(1/X2 - 1/X + 1)1/2 - LimX --> inf. (aX + b) = 0

= [LimX --> inf. X] [LimX --> inf.(1/X2 - 1/X + 1)1/2] - LimX --> inf. (aX + b) = 0

Now the term inside the root sign goes to 1. We are left with
LimX --> inf. X - aX - b = 0

This way, the answer is a = 1 and b = 0.

Why am I getting a different answer? I used all the limit rules correctly as far as I can see.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are haphazardly applying the formulas for the algebraic operations on limits. Remember, you can split limits across functions provided that all limits in question actually exist. For example, I don't think you can split the square root term as you did since X goes off to infinity.

The second way you did it makes it so the 1 - x term disappears. Intuitively, the 1 disappearing is fine since when it comes to infinity, it's meaningless, but the x can't disappear like that.

First, [tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} x\sqrt[]{(1/x^2 - 1/x + 1)} - ax - b = \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} x\sqrt[]{(1/x^2 - 1/x + 1)} - (ax + b) [/tex].

If this limit is to go to 0, then obviously a must be positive (for if a were negative the entire expression we're trying to find the limit of would increase beyond all positive bounds). But if a is positive, then the expression above is of the indeterminate form "infinity - infinity", and so you can't say that the square root expression tends to 1 and the x's will then cancel out.

snipez90 said:
Remember, you can split limits across functions provided that all limits in question actually exist. For example, I don't think you can split the square root term as you did since X goes off to infinity.

D'oh! How could I forget that??

1. What is the purpose of solving a mistake in a limits problem?

Solving a mistake in a limits problem helps to ensure the accuracy of the solution and avoid any errors or incorrect results. It also helps to enhance the understanding of the concept and improve problem-solving skills.

2. How do I identify a mistake in a limits problem?

To identify a mistake in a limits problem, you can start by checking if the given equation satisfies the given limits. If it does not, then there is likely a mistake in the solution. You can also check for any errors in calculations or algebraic manipulations.

3. What are the common mistakes made in solving limits problems?

Some common mistakes made in solving limits problems include incorrect application of limit rules, errors in algebraic manipulations, and forgetting to consider special cases such as infinity or indeterminate forms. It is important to double-check all steps and calculations to avoid these mistakes.

4. How do I find the values of a and b for equation satisfaction?

To find the values of a and b for equation satisfaction, you can start by setting the given limits equal to the given equation. Then, use algebraic manipulations to solve for a and b. You may also need to consider special cases and use limit rules to simplify the equation and solve for the variables.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve a mistake in a limits problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a mistake in a limits problem. However, it is important to understand the concepts and steps involved in solving the problem manually. Using a calculator can help to check your work and save time, but it should not be relied on as the sole method of solving the problem.