ELEG - DC Motor Control Systems Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the voltage equation of a dc motor and its application in control systems. The laplace transform is used to solve for the motor velocity, which can be generated by feeding back the armature voltage and current. The block diagram of the system is shown and the question asks for the transfer function between the motor velocity and the reference input voltage, with and without load-disturbance torque. The correct signal flow graph is provided and the solution method involves using the gain formula and substituting the given expression for Hi/He.
tehipwn
ELEG -- DC Motor Control Systems Problem

Homework Statement

The voltage equation of a dc motor is written:

ea(t)= Ra*ia(t) + La*[dia(t)/dt] + Kb*wm(t)

where ea(t) is the applied voltage; ia(t) is the armature current; Ra is the armature resistance; La is the armature inductance; Kb is the back-emf constant; wm(t) is the motor velocity; wr(t) is the reference input voltage. Taking the laplace transform on both sides of the voltage equation, with zero initial conditions, and solving for [tex]\Omega[/tex]m(s), we get

[tex]\Omega[/tex]m(s) = [ Ea(s) - Ia(s)*(Ra + La*s)] / [Kb]

which shows that the velocity information can be generated by feeding back the armature voltage and current. The block diagram of the system is below in relavent equations.

(a) Let K1 be a very high gain amplifier. Show that when Hi(s)/He(s) = - (Ra + La*s), the motor velocity wm(t) is totally independent of the load-disturbance torque TL.

(b) Find the transfer function between [tex]\Omega[/tex]m(s) and [tex]\Omega[/tex]r(s) (TL=0) when Hi(s) and He(s) are selected as in part (a).

Homework Equations

Here is the block diagram of the system

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/4163/dcmotorcontrol412.jpg

That image also has the signal flow graph that I drew for the block diagram...the SFG is probably wrong because I have very little experience with them. If you could help with this portion of drawing the SFG I would be appreciative.

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) The only thing I can think of for part (a) is to use my SFG (which I believe is wrong) and use the Gain Formula to find the transfer function Hi(s)/He(s), then setting it equal to (Ra + La*s) should probably show the correct relationship. If this is the correct SFG and my method is correct, some help with the gain formula for this SFG would be appreciated because I'm confused as to how He(s) can be an input node.

(b) I don't even know what [tex]\Omega[/tex]m(s) or [tex]\Omega[/tex]r(s) represents.

Homework Statement

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

(which I believe is wrong)

Yes, it is wrong. I attach the right SFG.
Use it to obtain the transfer function and then substitue Hi/He with the given expression. I think it will work.

Ω is the capital form of omega which represents the speed in radian/second.
Ωm(s) is the Laplace transfor of ωm(t). This represents the mechanical speed. But I don't know what Ωr(s) represents. I think you should see your lecture notes or the reference book that your lecturer depends on.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:

The voltage equation of a dc motor is written:

ea(t)= Ra*ia(t) + La*[dia(t)/dt] + Kb*wm(t)

where ea(t) is the applied voltage; ia(t) is the armature current; Ra is the armature resistance; La is the armature inductance; Kb is the back-emf constant; wm(t) is the motor velocity; wr(t) is the reference input voltage. Taking the laplace transform on both sides of the voltage equation, with zero initial conditions, and solving for \Omegam(s), we get

\Omegam(s) = [ Ea(s) - Ia(s)*(Ra + La*s)] / [Kb]

which shows that the velocity information can be generated by feeding back the armature voltage and current. The block diagram of the system is below in relavent equations.

(a) Let K1 be a very high gain amplifier. Show that when Hi(s)/He(s) = - (Ra + La*s), the motor velocity wm(t) is totally independent of the load-disturbance torque TL.

(b) Find the transfer function between \Omegam(s) and \Omegar(s) (TL=0) when Hi(s) and He(s) are selected as in part (a).

Homework Equations

Here is the block diagram of the system

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/4163/dcmotorcontrol412.jpg

That image also has the signal flow graph that I drew for the block diagram...the SFG is probably wrong because I have very little experience with them. If you could help with this portion of drawing the SFG I would be appreciative.

The Attempt at a Solution

I would like to provide a response to this content by first acknowledging the complexity of the problem and the need for a thorough understanding of the equations and concepts involved. It is clear that this problem involves the analysis of a DC motor control system and requires knowledge of Laplace transforms, transfer functions, and signal flow graphs.

In order to address part (a), it is important to understand that the goal is to show that the motor velocity wm(t) is independent of the load-disturbance torque TL. The equation \Omegam(s) = [ Ea(s) - Ia(s)*(Ra + La*s)] / [Kb] shows that the motor velocity is directly related

1. What is ELEG - DC Motor Control Systems Problem?

ELEG - DC Motor Control Systems Problem is a common problem in electrical engineering where the control system for a DC motor malfunctions, causing the motor to either not function properly or not function at all.

2. What are the main causes of ELEG - DC Motor Control Systems Problem?

The main causes of ELEG - DC Motor Control Systems Problem can vary, but some common causes include faulty wiring, damaged components, incorrect programming, and power supply issues.

3. How can ELEG - DC Motor Control Systems Problem be diagnosed?

ELEG - DC Motor Control Systems Problem can be diagnosed by performing a series of tests, such as checking for continuity in the wiring, testing individual components, and checking for any error codes or alerts in the control system software.

4. What are the common solutions for ELEG - DC Motor Control Systems Problem?

The solution for ELEG - DC Motor Control Systems Problem depends on the specific cause of the issue. Some common solutions include repairing or replacing faulty wiring, replacing damaged components, reprogramming the control system, and addressing any power supply issues.

5. How can ELEG - DC Motor Control Systems Problem be prevented?

To prevent ELEG - DC Motor Control Systems Problem, it is important to regularly maintain and inspect the control system and motor for any potential issues. It is also important to follow proper wiring and programming guidelines to ensure the system is functioning correctly.