Improving Math Study Habits: Tips for Acing Calculus 2

• Thread starter sarah2529
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, the speaker is currently taking a Calculus 2 class and has changed their study habits in order to get an A+. They practice integration problems daily but still did not receive a high score on their first exam. During the exam, they felt rushed and made mistakes. Someone suggests learning for understanding rather than just trying to get an A, and the speaker agrees to try this approach. In the end, the speaker celebrates getting an A on their second exam with the help of videos from MIT.
sarah2529
I'm currently taking Calculus 2 class and really enjoyed it. I changed my study habits in math because I want to get an A+ on it. I practice indefinite and definite integrations problems everyday for my first exam. I answered most of the questions on my book and some problems I found on the internet, but still didn't get an almost or much better a perfect score on my first exam.

The problem is that when I'm already taking the exam already. I don't have any problem when I'm practicing. Last exam, I feel so weird... it looks like everything is moving fastl. Then after few minutes solving all the questions on the exam, I noticed that I finished it for only 25minutes. So I checked again my answer then I found few errors with signs and fractions. So I changed everything then pass the paper already. Then the next meeting, I only got a B+. :'(

I don't know what's the problem, I sleep 8 hours a day which is the right amount, practice very well and didn't find any problem with me. Can you tell me what's the problem with me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of trying to learn for an A, try to learn for the understanding. Then the A will come naturally when you understand. This will save you time in the long run.

Klockan3 said:
Instead of trying to learn for an A, try to learn for the understanding. Then the A will come naturally when you understand. This will save you time in the long run.

I second this.

Can you please explain it more? I don't get what you are saying. Sorry.

At least you still have room for improvement. That's what I tell myself when I receive a grade I'm not happy with.

sarah2529 said:
Can you please explain it more? I don't get what you are saying. Sorry.
Well, what I mean is that you should learn so that everything you do feel natural. If there is any rule or so that you are unsure on why it works then learn why. When you come to the point where you feel that it is absurd that you could do anything else than what the maths allows you to then you are at home.

Basically what it comes down to is memorization vs understanding. As it looks in your post you try to go heavily on memorization, I therefore advice you to spend a bit more time on understanding. Read through the book, if at any point you do not understand every step then read that part again and again and think it through every time. Don't stop doing problems completely though, they are good as examples of the theory.

Maybe you're right. I'll try to read again. But... really... B+... is... killing me... arrggghh... :'(

Hello again guys! I got an A on my second exam! Woooohoooo! Thanks to MIT for the videos. haha!

1. How can I improve my study habits in Math?

Improving study habits in Math involves setting a regular study schedule, practicing consistently, seeking help when needed, and using study aids such as flashcards or online resources.

2. What are some effective study techniques for Math?

Effective study techniques for Math include breaking down complex problems into smaller parts, solving practice problems, and explaining concepts to someone else. Additionally, creating study guides and using visual aids, such as diagrams or graphs, can be helpful.

3. How can I stay motivated while studying Math?

Staying motivated while studying Math can be challenging, but setting achievable goals, rewarding yourself for progress, and seeking help when needed can help keep you motivated. Additionally, finding a study group or partner can provide accountability and support.

4. How can I manage my time better when studying Math?

To manage time effectively when studying Math, it is important to prioritize tasks, eliminate distractions, and break up study sessions into smaller chunks. Creating a study schedule and sticking to it can also help with time management.

5. Are there any specific study strategies for Math exams?

Preparing for Math exams involves reviewing material regularly, practicing with past exams or practice tests, and seeking clarification on any difficult concepts. It can also be helpful to create a study guide or flashcards to review key formulas and concepts. Additionally, getting plenty of rest and staying hydrated can improve focus and retention during the exam.