What should I wear for a phone interview with an academic employer?

• Job Skills
  • Thread starter fizziks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interview
In summary, a phone interview is just like a regular interview, but with a different setting. They will ask you basic questions about programming and languages, to make sure you have the skills necessary for a face-to-face interview. You should give your current employer at least a two week notice, and may want to give yourself 1-2 weeks to relocate. If assistance is provided, you could leave after your last day at your current job and stay at a hotel while you search for a place to live. You should also prepare as if it were a face-to-face interview. There are many interview prep / sample question resources online.
fizziks
I have a phone interview next week with an academic (not corporate) employer. The position is for a applications programmer in the university's school of medicine.

They're conducting a phone interview since I'm down here in Florida and they are all the way up in the Northeast. What can I expect? How is a phone interview different from a regular one, besides not meeting face-to-face?

If I get a job offer or a potential offer, how much time do I give them to leave my current job and relocate?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since it's for applications programming...

They'll ask you some basic questions on programming and languages. This is to make sure that you have the basic competency that would warrant a face to face interview. One piece of advice is not to use a cell phone for a phone interview.

How much time for transition is negotiable.

I would agree with twofish-quant: do not you a cell phone. You risk being cut off if you have a weak signal.

Create a comfortable and natural interview environment:
- Connect a headset to you landline phone so your hands are free and can move naturally as if you were speaking with someone face-to-face.
- Have a copy of your resume, answers (in note form) to common interview questions, and a list of questions to ask.
- Sit across from your PC and use a face photo as your PC background and talk to your PC when answering question, as if the interviewer were sitting across from you.
- Find a private and quiet place to sit while in the interview.
- Communicate with your roommates the need for silence and no interruptions; put a sign on the door to keep people from walking in.

You want to give your current employer at least a two week notice. You may want to give your self 1-2 weeks in order to relocate. Ask the interviewer if they provide relocation assistance. In the event that assistance is provided, you could leave after your last day at your current job and stay at a hotel while you search for a place to live.

Also, prepare as if it were face to face. Have answers ready for "discuss your three greatest weaknesses" and all that good stuff. There are lots of interview prep / sample question resources online. Depending on how much corporate or hiring experience your interviewer has it may be more or less standard.

Last edited:
One other thing is to save your receipts and get a basic book on income taxes. There are major tax deductions for relocation.

Smile a natural smile. Try to enjoy yourself. It can make a huge difference (and being overly serious can sound very negative).

make sure you wear a suit and collar and tie.

Freddy_Turnip said:
make sure you wear a suit and collar and tie.

Ha, I don't even do that for face-to-face interviews!

1. What are some common mistakes to avoid during a phone interview?

Some common mistakes to avoid during a phone interview include not preparing beforehand, not speaking clearly or confidently, and not actively listening to the interviewer's questions. It is important to also avoid distractions, such as background noise or interruptions, and to not give one-word answers.

2. How can I prepare for a phone interview?

To prepare for a phone interview, you should research the company and the job position, review your resume and the job description, and practice common interview questions. It is also important to choose a quiet and distraction-free location for the phone call, and to have your resume, notes, and any necessary materials nearby.

3. What are some tips for answering common phone interview questions?

Some tips for answering common phone interview questions include speaking clearly and confidently, using specific examples and experiences to support your answers, and staying focused on the question. It is also helpful to take a moment to think before answering, and to ask for clarification if needed.

4. How can I make a good impression during a phone interview?

To make a good impression during a phone interview, it is important to be professional, friendly, and enthusiastic. Use a clear and polite tone of voice, and avoid interrupting the interviewer. It is also helpful to have a positive attitude, express your interest in the company and the position, and ask thoughtful questions.

5. What should I do after a phone interview?

After a phone interview, you should send a thank you email or note to the interviewer, expressing your appreciation for the opportunity to speak with them. It is also helpful to reflect on the interview and any areas where you can improve for future interviews. If you are selected for the next round of interviews, make sure to follow up and prepare accordingly.