Graph theory line graph proof

Your Name]In summary, the size of the line graph of a non-empty graph G of order n is equal to \sum(di choose 2) from i=1 to n, where di represents the degree of each vertex in G. This can be proven by considering the number of edges in L(G) and using the hint that the size of a complete graph with d vertices is (d choose 2).
dancergirlie

Homework Statement

Let G be a non-empty graph of order n whose vertices have degrees d1, . . . , dn.
The line graph of G is defined as follows: the vertices of L(G) are the edges of G, and two vertices of L(G) are adjacent if they share an endpoint in G. Prove that the size of L(G) is:

[tex]\sum(di choose 2)[/tex] from i=1 to n

Hint: The size of Kd is (d choose 2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know that the SUM(deg v)=2|E|
meaning that |E| or the size of G is (1/2)SUM(di)
Which would mean that the order of L(G) would be (1/2)SUM(di)

I think that the line graph is a complete graph would would mean that would mean that the degree of each vertex would be (n-1), and in the case of the line graph would be ((1/2)SUM(di))-1

I don't really know if I'm on the right track, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. Your approach is definitely on the right track. You have correctly identified that the size of G, |E|, is equal to (1/2)SUM(di). This means that the average degree of the vertices in G is (1/2)SUM(di)/n.

Now, to prove the size of L(G), we need to consider the number of edges in L(G). Since the vertices of L(G) are the edges of G, there are n edges in L(G). We can also see that each edge in L(G) corresponds to a pair of vertices in G that share an endpoint. This means that for each edge in L(G), there are two vertices in G that share an endpoint. Therefore, the degree of each vertex in L(G) is equal to the number of edges in G that share that vertex as an endpoint.

Using the hint given in the question, we can see that the size of Kd, a complete graph with d vertices, is (d choose 2). This means that the degree of each vertex in L(G) is (di choose 2), where di is the degree of the corresponding vertex in G. Therefore, the total number of edges in L(G) is the sum of the degrees of all vertices in L(G), which is equal to:

\sum(di choose 2) from i=1 to n.

I hope this helps clarify the solution for you. Let me know if you have any further questions. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a line graph in graph theory?

A line graph is a type of graph representation in which the edges of a graph are replaced with nodes, and the edges between the new nodes represent the shared endpoints of the original edges. Essentially, a line graph is a graph that shows the relationships between edges and their endpoints in another graph.

2. How is a line graph created?

A line graph is created by taking an existing graph and replacing its edges with nodes, and connecting these nodes based on their shared endpoints. This process is also known as line graph transformation.

3. What is the purpose of a line graph in graph theory?

The line graph allows for the visualization and analysis of the relationships between edges and their shared endpoints in a graph. It can also help to identify patterns and connections within a graph, which can be useful in various applications such as network analysis and data visualization.

4. How can you prove that a graph is a line graph?

To prove that a graph is a line graph, you can use the necessary and sufficient conditions for a graph to be a line graph, such as the Handshaking Lemma or the Strong Perfect Graph Theorem. You can also use graph theory algorithms, such as the line graph recognition algorithm, to verify that a graph is a line graph.

5. Are line graphs used in real-world applications?

Yes, line graphs have various real-world applications, such as in social networks, transportation networks, and communication networks. They are also commonly used in data analysis and visualization to represent relationships between entities and their connections in a graph form.