Solving the Schroedinger Wave Eq. for Li Atom

• Thread starter pzona
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atom Wave
In summary, the conversation is about setting up the Schroedinger Wave Equation for Li, taking into account electron-electron interactions. The person asking the question is unsure about how to solve for multiple electrons and where to begin considering the interactions. The responder suggests using the e2/ri,j factor for each pair of electrons and also mentions they are not an expert in the subject.
pzona

Homework Statement

Set up the Schroedinger Wave Equation for Li. Hint: Don’t forget to consider electron-electron
interactions.

Homework Equations

H^[tex]\Psi[/tex]=E[tex]\Psi[/tex], etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to set up the equation, i.e. how to use the H^ operator, obtain solutions for [tex]\Psi[/tex], and I'm fairly sure I can solve it (for H anyway). I'm more unsure of how to solve it for multiple electron atoms than anything else. I'm guessing that I'll have to do it three times, once for each electron. Is this correct? Also, where do I begin to account for electron-electron interactions? I'm not sure what this means, as we never explicitly went over it in class. Does this pertain to the charges, or just positions? I'm not asking anyone to do the problem for me (I'd much rather do it myself actually), but if someone could give me a place to start, I'd appreciate it; I'm completely lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose question asks just for correct H operator, one that takes all interactions into account. But I can be wrong, my Quantum Chemistry long ago fall apart leaving just a pinch of rust.

--
methods

Thanks, Borek, I actually hadn't considered that. I'm planning on going to a review session tomorrow night so hopefully I'll be able to get some help with this then. Any idea on what factors to consider (i.e. charge? electron energy?) when calculating the Hamiltonian operator for multiple electrons? I don't want to seem like I'm asking the professor to just give me answers.

e2/ri,j for each pair of electrons (where ri,j is a distance)?

Don't treat me too seriously, I am sneezing. I am sneezing because I had to dust my quantum chemistry book to check if I am right. I don't remember seeing book with that thick layer of dust. I have to take a shower.

--
methods

Lol, I understand

Well that seems to be a good place for me to start. Thanks a lot for your help.

What is the Schroedinger Wave Equation?

The Schroedinger Wave Equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a quantum mechanical system, such as an atom. It is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain location at a given time.

Why is it important to solve the Schroedinger Wave Equation for the Li Atom?

The Li Atom is a simple system that can be used to understand the principles of quantum mechanics and the behavior of atoms. By solving the Schroedinger Wave Equation for the Li Atom, we can gain a better understanding of the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of matter at a microscopic level.

What are the steps involved in solving the Schroedinger Wave Equation for the Li Atom?

The first step is to define the potential energy of the system, which is determined by the forces acting on the atom. Then, the wave function of the atom is calculated using the Schroedinger Wave Equation. This wave function describes the probability of finding the atom in a certain state. Finally, the energy levels and corresponding wave functions are determined by solving the equation for different values of energy.

What are the assumptions made when solving the Schroedinger Wave Equation for the Li Atom?

There are a few key assumptions made when solving the Schroedinger Wave Equation for the Li Atom. These include assuming that the atom is in a stationary state (meaning its energy does not change over time), that the atom is in a vacuum, and that the electron and nucleus are treated as point particles rather than wave-like entities.

What are the limitations of solving the Schroedinger Wave Equation for the Li Atom?

The main limitation is that the equation can only be solved exactly for simple systems, such as the Li Atom. It becomes increasingly difficult to solve for more complex systems, and often approximations must be made. Additionally, the equation does not take into account the effects of relativity, which can have a significant impact on the behavior of particles at high speeds.