What Distinguishes Circuit Diagrams from Wiring Diagrams?

In summary, a circuit diagram is a pictorial representation of a circuit, while a wiring diagram is a pictorial representation of a wiring setup. Wiring diagrams for devices like TVs, computers, and VCRs usually don't show the individual wires, but instead show which pins on the device correspond to which pins on the connector.
design-engine
What is the difference between a circuit diagram and a wiring diagram.

And while your at it can anyone explain the difference between diagram that routes fibers/ connections to from a battery to a lamp for example as opposed to the alternate... one that routes to the connector on the battery and the connector on the lamp?

I have noticed wiring diagrams that only show connectors and those connections and others that show a complete system. Comments?

Engineering news on Phys.org
People who build equipment in assembly lines have no need for, nor any understanding of, circuit diagrams. They are paid for assembling the equipment, and wiring it up. A circuit diagram would only confuse them. The people I knew in Wiring and Assembly at HP in the mid-1950s didn't care whether a wire was connected to a (vacuum tube) grid or a plate.
Bob S

A wiring diagram is a pictorial representation of a circuit diagram.

Usually, the active devices, like transistors and ICs, are shown as they look with the pin connections etc shown in a real sequence. The internal functions of the devices are not shown.

Sometimes a wiring harness is shown where it connects to a junction connector. This is typically done for auto electrical work where the numbers on the connector have to match the colors of the wires. What they actually do is not obvious

Some devices, like computers, VCRs and TV sets have such complex wiring that the individual wires are not shown but they are numbered and you have to look for the same number on a different part of the circuit diagram. Unless this is well done, this system can become a nighmare.

thanks so much for the responses. I am creating wiring diagrams that connect from connectors to connectors. What would that be called?

I have referred to cable connector-to-connector wiring diagrams as cable connector pin-out diagrams. It usually includes a table showing which pin on one connector is connector to which pin on the other. Don't forget to show the connector shell grounds (to cable external shield).
Bob S

1. What is a wiring diagram?

A wiring diagram is a visual representation of the electrical connections and components within a system. It shows how the wires are connected and where each component is located.

2. Why are wiring diagrams important?

Wiring diagrams are important because they provide a clear and detailed overview of the electrical system. They help engineers and technicians understand how the system works, troubleshoot any issues, and make modifications or repairs.

3. How do you read a wiring diagram?

To read a wiring diagram, start by identifying the symbols and color codes used for the different components and wires. Then, follow the path of the wires to see how they are connected and what each connection represents. It is also important to refer to the legend or key for any specific instructions or information.

4. Can I create my own wiring diagram?

Yes, you can create your own wiring diagram using specialized software or by hand. However, it is important to have a thorough understanding of the electrical system and proper knowledge of symbols and color codes to accurately create a functional diagram.

5. Are there different types of wiring diagrams?

Yes, there are several types of wiring diagrams, including schematic diagrams, ladder diagrams, and pictorial diagrams. Each type has its own unique way of representing the electrical connections and components, and they may be used for different purposes depending on the system being depicted.