Is Faster than Light Travel Possible?

In summary, the conversation was about faster than light travel and the possibility of a starship occupying all points in space when traveling at 10 times the speed of light. The links provided are for video games and do not have any scientific basis. The conversation ended with the reminder that the discussion was not based on reality.
Ultrastar 1
I was doing research on fastaer than light travel, and I came across a chart that said that said that a starship can only travel ten times the speed of light until it occupies all points in space. (I understand that this is fiction, and is only possible in theory but I am still intreasted in faster than light travel.) What I don't get is how can an object inrease its surface area to occupy all points in space? I realize that the answer is it cant, but what if it did?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Here are the charts:
http://games.pbem-portal.com/startrek/ussterranova/warpchart.html
http://www.startrek.com.sg/warp.html
Read the last line on the second one. It says that a starship traveling at 10 times the speed of light (warp 10) will occupy all points in space at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a video game, it's not real and has no basis in reality.

You are on the wrong web page, we do not engage in idle speculation here.

1. How is faster than light travel possible?

Faster than light travel, also known as superluminal travel, is currently not possible according to our current understanding of physics. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the ultimate speed limit in the universe. However, there are theories that propose the possibility of faster than light travel through concepts such as wormholes, warp drive, and hyperspace. These theories are still in the realm of science fiction and require further research and development.

2. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the ultimate speed limit in the universe. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and it requires an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further. Therefore, it is not possible for anything, including information, to travel faster than the speed of light.

3. What are the implications of faster than light travel?

If faster than light travel were possible, it would have major implications for space exploration and the potential for human colonization of other planets. It could also lead to advancements in communication and transportation, as information and people could travel vast distances in a short amount of time. However, it could also raise ethical concerns and disrupt the natural laws of the universe as we know it.

4. How is faster than light travel portrayed in science fiction?

Faster than light travel is a common theme in science fiction, often portrayed as a way for humans to explore and colonize distant galaxies. It is often depicted as instantaneous or nearly instantaneous travel, allowing characters to visit multiple planets and galaxies in a short amount of time. However, these depictions are based on speculation and have not been proven to be scientifically possible.

5. What are scientists doing to research faster than light travel?

Scientists are constantly researching and testing various theories and concepts related to faster than light travel. Some experiments have been conducted to measure the speed of particles and information, but so far, they have not shown any evidence of faster than light travel. Additionally, scientists are exploring the potential for manipulating space-time to allow for faster than light travel, but these theories are still in the early stages of development.