Exploring a Path to a MS in ME - Seeking Advice

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Path
In summary, a person shares their experience of deciding to go back to school after working as a professional cook for 6 years, and their love for problem solving. They discuss choosing between physics and engineering, and deciding on engineering for job security. They are considering getting a Master's in Mechanical Engineering through a strategic scheduling and electives program, and also have a desire to eventually get a graduate degree in physics. They ask for advice on whether this plan is a good course of action. The responder suggests staying in the BS/MS program for Mechanical Engineering, and possibly dropping a co-op to focus on classes. They also mention the option of going straight to work and getting an MBA.
Saladsamurai
I will try to keep this short since I know how annoying these can be :wink:

Very brief Background
After working as a professional cook for about 6 years (after dropping out of high school) I decided to go back to school. This was about 5 years ago. I first did a 2 year Liberal Arts degree as a sort of means of 'making up for' not having a diploma (yes, I got my GED).

I fell in love with mathematics and physics and all things of a 'problem solving nature.' I think that I find comfort in things that are 'solvable' since so much in life is not. But, that is neither here nor there :smile:
I went through the typical 'physics or engineering' dilemma. In the end, I chose engineering, mostly for job security.

My Question(s)

I am coming up on my last year of Mechanical Engineering. Due to the Co-op program that my school does I have about a year and a half to 2 years before I actually graduate. Because of this and the MS/BS program my school offers, I have the opportunity to do some strategic scheduling and choosing of electives that would result in my obtaining a MS in ME with only 1 additional year of schooling (with research). I can also skip right over the GRE. And would most likely not have to pay my own way (as I understand it).

There are 3 routes that one can go with a Masters in ME (at least at my school): Materials Science and Engineering, Mechanics and Design, Thermofluids Engineering.
I am leaning, heavily, towards Thermofluids Engineering because to me, I think that it is closer to the 'physics end of the spectrum' of ME.

However, I still would like to return to school someday for a graduate degree in physics. This would be more for my own satisfaction then for a career move.
I am not exactly sure what my question is. I guess I had originally planned on applying to some of the 'name brand' schools for my MS in engineering. But the whole '1 year' thing has a nice ring to it.

That way if I do decide to go back for Physics, I won't be too old by the time all is said and done.
So my only question at the moment is, does this sound like the course of action you might take? Has anyone gone this route?

If you took the time to read this, I apologize for the rambling :redface: I know that perhaps it looks as though I am looking more for affirmation then I am for advice and perhaps I am. But if you do have any thoughts on the matter, I would love to hear them.

~Casey

Physics news on Phys.org

I can offer some input. I am also currently attending a co-op school and am in the BS/MS program for Chemical Engineering. In my opinion, staying where you are and getting the masters is the best way to go since it will only take a year. Also, if it is possible to drop one of the co-ops and take classes instead towards your masters that might be a good option. Before I decided to do the BS/MS program I talked to a lot of people about it and the masters degree is the way to go, especially if you are definitely going to work as a ME after you graduate. Although, I was told this was the way to go for me since I wouldn't have to stay a year later. There is also the option of going straight to work and then getting an MBA. I guess it depends which direction you want to go once you graduate.

Dear Casey,

First of all, congratulations on your decision to go back to school and pursue a degree in engineering. It takes a lot of courage to make such a big change in your career path.

In terms of your question about whether pursuing a MS in Mechanical Engineering with a focus on Thermofluids Engineering is the right course of action, I would say it depends on your personal goals and interests. If you are passionate about the subject and see yourself pursuing a career in that field, then it definitely sounds like a good option for you. It's great that your school offers a combined BS/MS program and that you have the opportunity to complete it in just one year.

As for your plan to potentially pursue a graduate degree in physics in the future, it's important to keep in mind that it may not be necessary for your career goals. Many engineers have successful careers without a graduate degree in physics. However, if you are truly interested in the subject and see yourself wanting to learn more about it, then it's definitely worth considering in the future.

In terms of choosing between "name brand" schools and completing your MS in one year, it's important to remember that the quality of education and opportunities for research and networking are more important than the school's name. If your current school offers a strong program in Thermofluids Engineering and you have the opportunity to work on research projects, then it may be a better option for you than a more prestigious school.

Ultimately, the decision should be based on what will make you happy and fulfilled in your career. It's great that you have the opportunity to explore different options and make a decision that aligns with your interests and goals. I wish you all the best in your academic and professional journey.

What is a MS in ME?

A MS in ME stands for a Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering. It is a graduate degree that focuses on advanced study and research in the field of mechanical engineering.

What are the requirements for a MS in ME?

The specific requirements for a MS in ME may vary depending on the university or program, but generally, applicants must have a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or a related field, a strong academic record, and satisfactory scores on standardized tests such as the GRE. Some programs may also require relevant work experience or letters of recommendation.

What career opportunities are available with a MS in ME?

Graduates with a MS in ME have a wide range of career opportunities, including roles in research and development, design, manufacturing, and management. They may work in industries such as automotive, aerospace, energy, or biomedical engineering. Some may also pursue further education and research positions in academia or government.

What are the benefits of pursuing a MS in ME?

A MS in ME can provide advanced technical and analytical skills, as well as specialized knowledge in a specific area of mechanical engineering. This can make graduates more competitive in the job market and open up opportunities for higher salaries and positions with more responsibility. Additionally, a MS in ME can provide networking opportunities and connections with industry professionals.

What advice do you have for someone considering a MS in ME?

My advice would be to thoroughly research and compare different programs to find one that aligns with your interests and career goals. It is also important to make sure you meet the requirements and have a strong academic background in mechanical engineering. Additionally, consider reaching out to current students or alumni to get a better understanding of the program and their experiences. Finally, be prepared for a rigorous and challenging academic experience, but know that the rewards and opportunities are worth it in the end.