Calculate Dielectric Strength Breakdown Voltage

In summary: What is the distance between the plates?2x10^-3 m2x10^-3 mSorry, I don't understand.You are looking for the dielectric strength for a given voltage and current. Well the dielectric strength gives the maximum electric field that can be applied before breakdown occurs. I doubt 12V is the maximum voltage, but that would be how to find it.Im in the crossroads in using this formula E= Q/EoArea that yields 7.2 x10^6 V/M or E= V/D that yields 6 kv/M
theman408
I know it has to do something with the Breakdown voltage but I've looked everywhere on my book and i have no idea how to calculate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
i would reallly like to know, without this i can't do my problem.

this is all i need.

theman408 said:
i would reallly like to know, without this i can't do my problem.

this is all i need.

What is the problem exactly?

It's two parallell plates which 12 volts are applied, i already calculated the capacitance with the Area and distance between the plates. Now i must calculate it's dielectric strength.

theman408 said:
already calculated the capacitance with the Area and distance between the plates. Now i must calculate it's dielectric strength.

The capacitance depends on the area, dielectric strength and distance. How did you find C with only two?

Sorry, forgot to specify. i used the formula of

C= eoerS/D

where Eo is the permitivity constant, Er is the relative permitivity which was given in the exercise, S is the area of the surface and D is the distance between the plates.

The Problem is which is the min. dielectric strength that it has.

theman408 said:
Sorry, forgot to specify. i used the formula of

C= eoerS/D

where Eo is the permitivity constant, Er is the relative permitivity which was given in the exercise, S is the area of the surface and D is the distance between the plates.

The Problem is which is the min. dielectric strength that it has.

but the dielectric strength depends on the fluid between the plates. The dielectric strength which is given by e0er

What would the min. value?

would i have to calculate a new er?

and it doesn't specify the fluid, which is kinda of the point, for us to calculate it without looking at the table.

theman408 said:
and it doesn't specify the fluid, which is kinda of the point, for us to calculate it without looking at the table.

What you are doing sort of looks counter-intuitive to me.

[tex]C=\frac{\epsilon_0 \epsilon_r A}{d}[/tex]

you used that to get C, yes I get that. You know, A,d,ε0 and εr. You find C.

What you are asking is to get ε (or ε0εr) for the same C, A and d. You will just get back what you used above. Am I missing something :confused:? Does A,d or A change?

Exactly that's the formula but what I am asked to calculate is the min. dielectric strength V/M.

They give us Er which i looked up on a table and it's the Dielectric constant of Barium titanate.

theman408 said:
Exactly that's the formula but what I am asked to calculate is the min. dielectric strength V/M.

V/M ? as in volt per metre as units? If that is the case then those units mean you need to find the electric field strength. Which is simply E=V/d

Yep, it's positive right?

theman408 said:
Yep, it's positive right?

I would think so.

The table in the back of my book that gives the different dielectric strengths it's unit is expressed x10^6 V/M and with that formula it only gives me kv/m.

theman408 said:
The table in the back of my book that gives the different dielectric strengths it's unit is expressed x10^6 V/M and with that formula it only gives me kv/m.

What is the distance between the plates?

2x10^-3 m

theman408 said:
2x10^-3 m

Well the dielectric strength gives the maximum electric field that can be applied before breakdown occurs. I doubt 12V is the maximum voltage, but that would be how to find it.

Im in the crossroads in using this formula E= Q/EoArea that yields 7.2 x10^6 V/M or E= V/D that yields 6 kv/M

A= 1m^2
Q= 63.72 uC
D= 2mm
V= 12 V

all the dielectric strength values in the table appear in x10^6 V/M

1. What is Dielectric Strength Breakdown Voltage?

Dielectric strength breakdown voltage is the maximum voltage that an insulating material can withstand before it breaks down and allows electricity to pass through it.

2. How is Dielectric Strength Breakdown Voltage calculated?

Dielectric strength breakdown voltage is calculated by dividing the breakdown voltage by the thickness of the insulating material. The result is measured in volts per unit of thickness (V/m).

3. What factors affect Dielectric Strength Breakdown Voltage?

The factors that affect dielectric strength breakdown voltage include the type and quality of the insulating material, the thickness and uniformity of the material, and the presence of any impurities or defects.

4. Why is Dielectric Strength Breakdown Voltage important?

Dielectric strength breakdown voltage is important because it determines the maximum voltage that an insulating material can safely withstand, which is crucial for preventing electrical failures and ensuring the safe operation of equipment.

5. How is Dielectric Strength Breakdown Voltage used in practical applications?

Dielectric strength breakdown voltage is used to select appropriate insulating materials for various applications, such as in electrical transformers, cables, and electronic devices. It is also used to test and certify the safety and reliability of these materials.