Linear Algebra - Span of vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses the span of vectors in linear algebra, specifically in relation to the given vectors x, y, z, and w. The problem asks to determine the value of w and mark true statements about the spans of these vectors. The summary explains the calculation of w and the attempted solution for statement A, ultimately concluding that all statements are true and the span of the four vectors is a plane or R^2.
calorimetry
Linear Algebra -- Span of vectors

Homework Statement

Let x, y, z be non-zero vectors and suppose w=15x−10y−3z. z=3x−2y, then w=?

Using the calculation above, mark the statements below that are true.

A. Span(w,x) = Span(w,x,y)
B. Span(w,z) = Span(y,z)
C. Span(x,y,z) = Span(w,y)
D. Span(w,y,z) = Span(w,z)
E. Span(w,y,z) = Span(x,y)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

w=6x - 4y
Since w and z are multiples of each other, their span would be equal. Span(w)=Span(z)
I'm not sure if my understanding of span of vectors are entirely correct, but this is my attempt at the first statement (A):

span(w, x) = { c1*w + c2*x
= c1*(6x - 4y) + c2*y
= c1*6x - c1*4y + c2*y = B
where c1 and c2 are real numbers and B is some vector}

Span(w,x,y) = { c1*w + c2*x + c3*y
= c1*(6x - 4y) + c2*x + c3*y
= c1*6x - c1*4y + c2*x + c3*y = B
where c1, c2, and c3 are real numbers and B is some vector}

Since there are essentially only two vectors in both spans (x vector and y vector), both spans are equivalent. For span(w, x), all multiples of vector x can be chosen through c1 and all multiples of vector y can be chosen through c2. For span(w, x, y), all multiples of vector x can be chosen through c2 and all multiples of vector y can be chosen through c3 even if c1=0.
So statement A is true.

Am I approaching this problem the wrong way? If I continue this solving strategy then all spans are expressed in term of vectors x and y so they are all true statements, but I don't think that is the answer. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Never mind, just realized that z and w are vectors in the span of (x, and y). Assuming that x and y are not multiple of each other, the span of these four vectors at most is a plane or R^2. The rest is just figuring out whether the span is a line or R^2 (a plane) and compare them.

1. What is the span of a set of vectors in linear algebra?

The span of a set of vectors is the set of all possible linear combinations of those vectors. In other words, it is the set of all vectors that can be formed by multiplying each vector by a scalar and adding them together.

2. How is the span of vectors related to linear independence?

The span of vectors is related to linear independence in that if the span of a set of vectors is equal to the entire vector space, then the vectors in the set are linearly independent. If the span is less than the entire vector space, then the vectors are linearly dependent.

3. Can the span of vectors be a subspace of the vector space?

Yes, the span of vectors can be a subspace of the vector space if the vectors in the set are linearly independent. This is because the span of a set of vectors is closed under scalar multiplication and vector addition, which are two of the properties of a subspace.

4. How does the dimension of the span relate to the number of vectors in the set?

The dimension of the span is equal to the number of linearly independent vectors in the set. This means that if there are n vectors in the set, the dimension of the span can range from 0 to n.

5. Can the span of vectors be infinite?

Yes, the span of vectors can be infinite if the vector space is infinite and the set of vectors is linearly independent. However, if the set of vectors is linearly dependent, the span will be a finite subspace of the vector space.