Angular velocity in a uniform circular motion.

In summary: It could be that the question is asking for the velocity of the particle at a certain point in time, not the average velocity over a certain period of time. Alternatively, the question could be asking for the angular velocity of the particle at a certain point in time.
tete9000
Hi people, i had my final exam yesterday, and one of the questions was this "a particle in uniform circular motion, moved for an interval of 0.185 seconds in a circular path of radius 16 cm, what is the angular velocity of the particle"?
I think that the question lacks information, am i right?We all know that "s = rϑ", and that "v = s/t", "v = rω", I made the substitutions needed, but came with the result that there's a lack of information, so please people, help is needed.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi tete9000! Welcome to PF! :smile:
tete9000 said:
"a particle moving in a uniform circular motion, moved for a period of 0.185 seconds in a circle of radius 16 cm, what is the angular velocity of the particle"?

I agree, that's very badly worded.

(was it in English, or is that a translation?)

If I was taking the exam, I would assume that the question meant that "in a circle" meant a complete circle; alternatively, that "period" was being used in its technical sense rather than its general sense, as if it had said "with a period" (and so again meant the time to make a complete circle).

But that's not what the question says. :frown:

Sorry tiny-tim, i edited the question concerning the points you mentioned, but you agree that there's a lack of information relating the question, right?

Hi tete9000! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: … )
tete9000 said:
"a particle in uniform circular motion, moved for an interval of 0.185 seconds in a circular path of radius 16 cm, what is the angular velocity of the particle"?
tete9000 said:
Sorry tiny-tim, i edited the question concerning the points you mentioned, but you agree that there's a lack of information relating the question, right?

Yes.

(I'd still assume it meant a complete circle, but on the new wording, that's just a wild guess :redface:)

tete9000 said:
Hi people, i had my final exam yesterday, and one of the questions was this "a particle in uniform circular motion, moved for an interval of 0.185 seconds in a circular path of radius 16 cm, what is the angular velocity of the particle"?

I think that the question lacks information, am i right?

We all know that "s = rϑ", and that "v = s/t", "v = rω", I made the substitutions needed, but came with the result that there's a lack of information, so please people, help is needed.

There must be something lacking. If it had said "the particle completed a full circle at t=0.185, taking into account that the motion started at t=0", then nothing would have sounded defective.

AB

What is angular velocity in a uniform circular motion?

Angular velocity in a uniform circular motion refers to the rate of change of angular displacement with respect to time. It measures how fast an object is rotating around a fixed point in a circular path.

How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the angular displacement by the time taken to complete that displacement. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (°/s).

What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity refers to the rotational speed of an object, while linear velocity refers to the speed of an object in a straight line. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

How does angular velocity affect centripetal force?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, an increase in angular velocity results in an increase in centripetal force. This means that as the speed of rotation increases, the centripetal force required to keep the object in its circular path also increases.

What factors can affect angular velocity?

The factors that can affect angular velocity include the radius of the circular path, the mass of the object, and any external forces acting on the object. Additionally, changes in these factors can also affect the angular velocity of an object in a uniform circular motion.