How do I prove the identity sin(4x) = 4sin(x)cos^3(x)-4sin^3(x)cos(x)?

• Thread starter Slicktacker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    identities
In summary, the given identity is proven by using the double angle formula for sin and factoring the right hand side to reveal the necessary identities. Alternatively, one can also use complex numbers and D'Moivre's theorem to prove the identity.
Slicktacker
Hi all, I have a question proving an identity:

[tex]sin(4x) = 4sin(x)cos^3(x)-4sin^3(x)cos(x)[/tex]

I can't seem to figure it out. I know I should be using the known identities:

[tex]sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x)[/tex]

and probably:

[tex]cos(2x) = 1-2sin^2(x)[/tex]

but I'm stuck. Please help!

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First hint, apply your double angle formula for sin to:

[tex]sin(2(2x))[/tex]

what do you get?

Second hint, try factoring the right hand side to help see what identities you'll need:

[tex]sin(4x) = 4sin(x)cos(x)(cos^2(x)-sin^2(x))[/tex]

How does this compare to your answer above? Can you see where the factors come from?

Mathematicians never memorize trig identities. Trig identities are proven using complex numbers. You can if you wish try to prove your identity with complex numbers, you may find it may be easier. If I can remember correctly cos(x)=(e^(ix) +e^(-ix))/2 and sin(x) = (e^(ix))-e^(-ix))/2i (someone correct me if I am wrong). From there all you have to do is algebra instead of working with identities to get the left side= to the right side.

Rather one may also use D'Moivre,
(cos4x+isin4x) = (cosx+isinx)^4
expand RHS and compare imaginary parts ... as a bonus u also get cos4x :P

let me try
sin (4x) = 4 sin x cos *3 x - 4 sin *3 ( x ) cos ( x)

let 2x = X
sin 2X = 2 sin X cos X
=2 sin 2x cos 2x
=2 [( 2sinx cosx ) ( cos*2 x - sin *2 x ) ]
=2 [ 2sinxcos*3 x - 2sin*3cos x ]
= 4sinx cos*3 x - 4sin*3 x cos x

1. What is the purpose of verifying identities?

The purpose of verifying identities is to ensure that a person or entity is who they claim to be. This is important for security and trust in various systems and transactions.

2. How is identity verification typically performed?

Identity verification can be performed through various methods such as presenting government-issued identification, using biometric data, or providing personal information that only the individual would know.

3. Why is identity verification important in scientific research?

In scientific research, identity verification is important to ensure the accuracy and credibility of research results. This includes verifying the identity of participants in studies and authors of published research.

4. What are some challenges in verifying identities?

Some challenges in verifying identities include fraudulent or stolen identities, lack of standardized methods, and privacy concerns. Additionally, cultural and language barriers can also make identity verification more difficult.

5. How can technology be used to improve identity verification?

Technology can be used to improve identity verification through the use of biometric data, advanced algorithms, and automated systems. This can help to increase the speed and accuracy of identity verification processes.