How Do You Calculate Mass Conversion in Nuclear Reactions?

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions related to fusion reactions and binding energy per nucleon. The first question involves using a fusion reaction to determine the amount of mass converted to energy, while the second question involves calculating the binding energy per nucleon in a helium-4 nucleus. The equations E=mc^2 and E=Δmc^2 are mentioned as methods for solving the questions.
Mspike6
Hi forums ..

i got 2 questions, i got the main idea how to solve them but i still need some help.

1) Use the following fusion reaction to determine the amount of mass that is converted to energy. 2/1 H + 3/1 H  4/2 He + 1/0 n + 17.6 MeV

Solution .
mh2 = 2.014102
mh3= 3.016049
mHe =4.002603
mn= 1.008665

i know that m =mf - mi (this works for fission, am not sure if it works for fusion as well )

But am not sure how to deal with the 17.6 MeV

2)The mass of a helium-4 nucleus is 4.0026 u. The mass of an individual proton is 1.0073 u and 1.0087 u for a neutron. Determine the binding energy per nucleon in the helium nucleus in units of MeV per nucleon

Solution
E nucleon = [tex]\frac{E binding}{A}[/tex]
A= Atomic mass number .
what i don't know is how to get the Ebinding here.

Thanks guys, and help/tip is really appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
.For the first question, you can use the equation E=mc^2 to calculate the amount of energy produced from the reaction. The mass is calculated using the mass of the individual particles minus the mass of the resulting particles. For the second question, you can calculate the binding energy using the equation E = Δm c^2 where Δm is the difference between the mass of the individual particles and the mass of the resulting nucleus.

What is nuclear fission?

Nuclear fission is a process in which the nucleus of an atom is split into two or more smaller nuclei, releasing a large amount of energy in the form of heat and radiation.

What is nuclear fusion?

Nuclear fusion is a process in which two or more smaller atomic nuclei combine to form a larger nucleus, releasing a massive amount of energy in the form of heat and radiation.

What is the difference between nuclear fission and fusion?

The main difference between nuclear fission and fusion is the reaction that takes place. Fission involves splitting a nucleus into smaller parts, while fusion involves combining two or more nuclei into a larger one.

What are the potential applications of nuclear fission and fusion?

Nuclear fission is currently used in nuclear power plants to generate electricity, while nuclear fusion has the potential to produce clean and abundant energy. It is also used in the production of nuclear weapons and in medical imaging and treatments.

What are the risks associated with nuclear fission and fusion?

The main risk associated with nuclear fission is the release of radioactive materials, which can have harmful effects on humans and the environment. In nuclear fusion, the main risk is the difficulty of controlling the reaction and containing the extremely high temperatures and pressures involved.