Water Tank Design: Pressure Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating pressure at the vertical wall of a cylinder water tank and whether the same equation can be applied to dry sand. There is some uncertainty about the validity of the equation for sand and factors such as moisture content and grain size may need to be considered. Additionally, the type of flow (static or dynamic) in the tank can affect the design and stress concentration. A paper is referenced that discusses the similarities between fluid and sand flow.
Su Solberg
Hello, everyone.

I am trying to calculate the pressure acting at the vertical wall of a cylinder water tank.

I am wondering whether the presure acting on the wall is as follow:

Pressure = Density * gravity * height

where height is from the water surface to the calculation point.

Also, I am wondering whether the situation is the same when i replace the water with dry sand.

Thank you very much for your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Su Solberg said:
Hello, everyone.

I am trying to calculate the pressure acting at the vertical wall of a cylinder water tank.

Yes.

Su Solberg said:
Also, I am wondering whether the situation is the same when i replace the water with dry sand.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it would essentially be the same given that the sand particles are very small and would probably give a pressure field equivalent to that of a liquid.

CS

the math is right for a fluid, but...
since sand is not actual fluid,
I don't know it the math for a fluid would work
(if I pour a bucket of sand on the floor, it won't disperse flat)
so that seems to tell me surface tension may be a factor, not sure
there may be other variables to consider, too

I am intrigued how to figure that

dr

Su Solberg said:

I would bet that the equations for dry sand will be different, but I'm not a civil engineer. I know that it will depend heavily on moisture content, and probably grain size (or some measure of it's flow-ability).

Su Solberg said:
Hello, everyone.

Thank you very much for your help.

depend on weather the pressure vessel has the fluid inside in it has static or dynamic in nature...

cause if the sand is continuesly coming in and going out of the vessel; then in that case the design will b different and very critical...in that case stress concentration will come in picture ... consider notch sensitivity factor and dynamic factor for fatigue strength...

if it is static .. then it will not affect a lot...design can b same as that of water...

i think...

The analogies are similar - see equation 8 w/9:

http://www.mec.utt.ro/~tm/SIPA_05/Part1/Ola2_G.pdf

If you have "flow" then things change as per that paper.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do you calculate the pressure of water in a water tank?

To calculate the pressure of water in a water tank, you will need to know the height of the water level (h), the density of water (ρ), and the acceleration due to gravity (g). The formula for pressure is P = ρgh, where P is the pressure in Pascals (Pa), ρ is the density in kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m^3), and g is the acceleration due to gravity in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. What factors affect the pressure in a water tank?

The pressure in a water tank can be affected by several factors including the height of the water level, the density of water, the acceleration due to gravity, and the size and shape of the tank. Other factors such as temperature and atmospheric pressure can also play a role in determining the pressure in a water tank.

3. How can you ensure the safety of a water tank in terms of pressure?

To ensure the safety of a water tank in terms of pressure, it is important to design the tank to withstand the maximum pressure that it will experience. This can be done by using appropriate materials, dimensions, and reinforcement. Regular inspections and maintenance can also help to identify any potential issues before they become a safety hazard.

4. What are the units of measurement for water tank pressure?

The units of measurement for water tank pressure are typically Pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi). However, other units such as atmospheres (atm) or bars (bar) may also be used in certain situations. It is important to use consistent units when calculating and discussing water tank pressure.

5. How can you use pressure calculations to optimize the design of a water tank?

Pressure calculations can be used to optimize the design of a water tank by determining the maximum pressure that the tank will experience and ensuring that the tank is designed to withstand this pressure. Additionally, pressure calculations can be used to determine the appropriate size and shape of the tank, as well as the materials and reinforcement needed to ensure its structural integrity.