Finding Reactions on Members Supported by Forces

• Thread starter 385sk117
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reactions
In summary, the problem involves finding the reactions exerted on the members by the supports, using equations for net forces and moments. The calculations show that the supporting force from the right side support is downward, which may be due to the support being a hook capable of exerting this type of force.
385sk117

Homework Statement

Find the reactions exerted on the members by the supports.

Homework Equations

Sigma Fx = Net force acting on x-axis = 0
Sigma Fy = Net force acting on y-axis = 0
Sigma M = Net Moments = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

10N/m -> changes to 4N at centre acting downward so total force acting downward is 34N
the Sum of two y component of two forces from suppors then equals to 34N
If I set the regarding point to be the point on the left supports, then total moment is
30 x 0.2 + 4 x 0.6 - 50 - Fy x 0.8 where Fy is the y component of force from the right support. But this gives negative value for Fy which means that the supporting force from the right side support is downward. How can this be true?
Any problem with my steps?

I neglected Fx as there is no movement of bar and only force acting in x direction is the x component of supporting from left support and that should be equals to 0

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
385sk117 said:

Homework Statement

Find the reactions exerted on the members by the supports.

Homework Equations

Sigma Fx = Net force acting on x-axis = 0
Sigma Fy = Net force acting on y-axis = 0
Sigma M = Net Moments = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

10N/m -> changes to 4N at centre acting downward so total force acting downward is 34N
the Sum of two y component of two forces from suppors then equals to 34N
If I set the regarding point to be the point on the left supports, then total moment is
30 x 0.2 + 4 x 0.6 - 50 - Fy x 0.8 where Fy is the y component of force from the right support. But this gives negative value for Fy which means that the supporting force from the right side support is downward. How can this be true?
Any problem with my steps?

I neglected Fx as there is no movement of bar and only force acting in x direction is the x component of supporting from left support and that should be equals to 0
You are quite correct, a pin support can have vertical loads up or down, as long as the beam is pinned to it, and the support is pinned to the floor. The right support keeps it from rotating ccw. If the beam just rested on the right support, without a pin, or if the pin support just rested on the floor, it could not be in equilibrium. Sometimes the symbol for a roller support is misleading

Last edited:
Hi 385sk117! :smile:
385sk117 said:

Your calculations look fine to me … the 50 N.m anticlockwise couple is easily more than the weights, so the net couple will be anticlockwise. :confused:

I notice that the "support" on the RHS is a different design to the one on the LHS … perhaps it's meant to be some sort of hook, that can exert a downward reaction?

PhanthomJay said:
You are quite correct, a pin support can have vertical loads up or down, as long as the beam is pinned to it. The right support keeps it from rotating ccw. If the beam just rested on the right support, without a pin, it could not be in equilibrium.

Oh so the force is actually acting downwards on the right support? I thought that because it is the force that is supporting the bar, it must acting upwards.
Thanks

385sk117 said:
Oh so the force is actually acting downwards on the right support? I thought that because it is the force that is supporting the bar, it must acting upwards.
Thanks
Just watch your terminology: The right support exerts a downward force on the beam, and the beam exerts an upward force on the right support, per Newton 3. As Tiny Tim has noted, the support may be a hook of sorts, capable of exerting that downward force on the beam.

1. What are reactions from supports?

Reactions from supports refer to the forces or moments exerted on a structure by its supports, which are typically fixed points or anchors that hold the structure in place.

2. Why are reactions from supports important to consider in structural analysis?

Reactions from supports are important as they can significantly affect the overall stability and strength of a structure. They must be accurately calculated and accounted for in structural analysis and design to ensure the safety and integrity of the structure.

3. How are reactions from supports calculated?

Reactions from supports are calculated using the principles of statics, which involves analyzing the forces and moments acting on a structure and applying the equations of equilibrium to determine the reactions at each support.

4. What factors can influence the magnitude of reactions from supports?

The magnitude of reactions from supports can be influenced by various factors such as the type of support (fixed, pinned, roller), the loading conditions, and the geometry and material properties of the structure.

5. Can reactions from supports change over time?

Yes, reactions from supports can change over time due to factors such as structural settlement, thermal expansion/contraction, and creep (long-term deformation under constant load). This is why regular structural inspections and maintenance are important to ensure the safety and stability of a structure.