Rotational Motion: When Does Car A Catch Up to Car B?

In summary, the problem involves two cars racing around a circular track, with car A accelerating at 0.340 rad/s2 and car B accelerating at 0.270 rad/s2. Car B starts at time t = 0 and has an initial angular velocity of 1.40 rad/s. The question is at what time car A will catch up to car B. Using the equation for rotational motion, the correct approach is to first find the change in angle for car B, then the time it takes for car B to reach that angle, and finally setting that angle equal to an equation for car A to find the total time. The mistake made in the attempt was not using the correct equation and placing the initial angle in
sheepcountme

Homework Statement

Two cars race around a circular track. Car A accelerates at 0.340 rad/s2 around the track, and car B at 0.270 rad/s2. They start at the same place on the track and car A let's the slower-to-accelerate car B start first. Car B starts at time t = 0. When car A starts, car B has an angular velocity of 1.40 rad/s. At what time does car A catch up to car B?

Homework Equations

rotational motion equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use rotational motion equations and set up

theta car A=theta car B
since they will be in the same place (theta) at the same time.

as in: omega initial A x time + 1/2 alpha A time^2 = omega initial B x time + 1/2 alpha A time^2

So: 0(t) + 1/2(.340)t^2=1.4(t)+1/2(.270)t^2
and then I solved for time using quadratic theorem and got 40 seconds but this was incorrect. Could you tell me where I went wrong?? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the angle really equal ? The second car already has traversed some angle when the other starts. So angle by faster car > angle by slower car.

You first have to find delta theta to see how far car B has gone. Then find how long it took to traverse that distance. Then plug your delta theta into the equations for car A with its respective angular velocity then add the two separate times (first time while car A was waiting + time it took car A to catch up) should be way less than 40 seconds if I'm not mistaking.

Okay, so I used omegafinal^2=omegainitial^2+2(alpha*deltatheta) to find delta theta for car B coming to delta theta=3.63rad

Then omegafinal=omegainitial+alphat to find the time for car B to reach this point, getting t=5.19s

Then I set the previous delta theta equal to an equation for Car A:
(3.63)=omegainitialt+1/2(alpha)t^2
3.63=0+1/2(.34)t^2
and solved for t getting 4.62 seconds

and so I added this 4.62 to 5.19 getting 9.81 however this was incorrect...

The first two parts you did are correct ( when you found the radians and the time ), as far as I can tell.

omega initial A x time + 1/2 alpha A time^2 = omega initial B x time + 1/2 alpha A time^2

You didn't put your Theta initial B as 3.63 radians. This should fix your problem. Sorry I haven't had time to sit down and work it out to make sure this is the mistake, but I'm pretty sure.

So, using the equation above, I get
1/2(.340)t^2=3.63t+1/2(.270)t^2
0=-.035t^2+3.63t

and time ends up being 103.72s This seems much too big...I hate needing someone to hold my hand through this, but there's really something I'm missing.

You're still not using that equation correctly.

[tex]\theta[/tex]= [tex]\theta[/tex][tex]_{int}[/tex] + [tex]\omega[/tex][tex]_{int}[/tex]t + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex]\alpha[/tex]t[tex]^{2}[/tex]

(sorry about the formatting still trying to get used to LaTeX.)

You then set them equal to each other. You put your radians in the wrong place on the equation you listed. You put them where the initial angular velocity goes. This should bring your answer down by around a factor of two.

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around a fixed point or axis. It is also known as circular motion.

2. What is the difference between linear and rotational motion?

Linear motion is the movement of an object in a straight line, while rotational motion is the movement of an object around a fixed point or axis. In linear motion, the object's velocity and acceleration are in the same direction, while in rotational motion, the object's angular velocity and angular acceleration are in different directions.

3. How is rotational motion measured?

Rotational motion is measured using angular displacement, angular velocity, and angular acceleration. Angular displacement is the change in an object's angle with respect to a fixed point or axis. Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement, while angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity.

4. What is the relationship between linear and rotational velocity?

The relationship between linear and rotational velocity is determined by the radius of rotation. The linear velocity of an object is equal to the product of its angular velocity and its radius of rotation. This relationship is known as the tangential velocity.

5. What are some examples of rotational motion in everyday life?

Some examples of rotational motion in everyday life include the rotation of the Earth around its axis, the rotation of a ceiling fan, the spinning of a top, and the motion of a Ferris wheel. Other examples include the rotation of wheels on a car, the spin of a ball when thrown, and the motion of a swinging pendulum.