Orbits of planets/Angular momentum

In summary, the angular momentum in a circular orbit around a mass M can be written as functions of the masses, orbit radius, and gravitational constant (G). This can be derived using Newton's law of universal gravitation and the relationships between angular velocity, acceleration, and momentum. Additionally, the period of an orbiting object is proportional to the average distance raised to the 1.5 power, and this can be calculated using the equations discussed in this conversation.
Physics122

Homework Statement

Show that the angular momentum in circular orbit around a mass
M can be written as functions of just the masses, the
orbit radius, and G.

Homework Equations

L = r x p = r x mv
L = Iw

The Attempt at a Solution

I had no trouble showing that the total energy can be written with these variables, but the angular momentum is proving much tougher. I know this has to do with Keplars Law and maybe this will help:
Newton's law of universal gravitation states that the force is proportional to the inverse square of the distance; a_r = -GM/r^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics122 said:
I had no trouble showing that the total energy can be written with these variables, but the angular momentum is proving much tougher. I know this has to do with Keplars Law and maybe this will help:
Newton's law of universal gravitation states that the force is proportional to the inverse square of the distance; a_r = -GM/r^2

So far so good. Now think about how centripetal acceleration might fit into the picture too.

You also know that the acceleration is equal to the centripetal acceleration, v^2/r.

collinsmark said:
So far so good. Now think about how centripetal acceleration might fit into the picture too.

Centripital acceleration = force of gravity! (GMm/R^2)

bing bong boom do some calculations and convert the angular velocity from centripital to velocity through v=wr and then I should get the angular momentum. One question, so
L=mvr and I found what v was and I already have r but to which mass does that m in the equation refer to??

No, centripetal acceleration = ACCELERATION of gravity. Remember that F=ma, so a force can never equal an acceleration.

ideasrule said:
No, centripetal acceleration = ACCELERATION of gravity. Remember that F=ma, so a force can never equal an acceleration.

oops sorry, I wrote out my thoughts too quickly, thusly they made no sense

Here was my thought process;

Fgrav = GMm/R^2
Centripital Force = mw^2R so I decided to set these two equal to each other and find the angular velocity which ended up being this:
w = the square root of (GMm/mR^3)
then keeping in mind that v=wR I get
v = R * the square root of (GMm/mR^3)
and because we know L = mvR I just plugged in the v I just got -->
L = m * (the square root of (GMm/mR^3) * R) * R

I really hope that's right because it makes sense to me. My only question was whether the beginning m was the orbiting object or the stationary one??

Seems right, but why didn't you cancel out the m's in GMm/mR^3?

"m" is the orbiting object's mass because centripetal (=towards center) force applies to the object that's moving in a circle.

Physics122 said:

Homework Statement

Show that the angular momentum in circular orbit around a mass
M can be written as functions of just the masses, the
orbit radius, and G.

Homework Equations

L = r x p = r x mv
L = Iw

The Attempt at a Solution

Angular velocity is given as [itex]\omega[/itex], where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle with some value, and [itex]\Delta[/itex] is the change operator.

They have the given relationships:

[itex]\omega = \frac{\Delta \omega}{\Delta t}[/itex]

[itex]\alpha = \frac{\Delta \omega}{\Delta t}[/itex]

which reads that the angular acceleration is the change in angular velocity over time. Since you have the condition of [itex]L=I \omega[/itex], this means that we may as well describe this in terms of a linear momentum, without any perturbations.

It can be calculated that the velocity of the circular motion by the formula:

[itex]V_{constant} = \frac{2 \pi R^2}{t}[/itex]

ideasrule said:
Seems right, but why didn't you cancel out the m's in GMm/mR^3?

"m" is the orbiting object's mass because centripetal (=towards center) force applies to the object that's moving in a circle.

In a similar vein, I was trying to figure out what would happen to the length of our days if the moons distance was 1.5 times its current value from earth. I found an equation online that said that P = A^1.5 where P is the orbital period and A is the average distance. I don't understand how they derived or got that equation? any ideas?

Physics122 said:
In a similar vein, I was trying to figure out what would happen to the length of our days if the moons distance was 1.5 times its current value from earth. I found an equation online that said that P = A^1.5 where P is the orbital period and A is the average distance. I don't understand how they derived or got that equation? any ideas?

I wouldn't say that it's equal, but the period is proportional to distance raised to the 1.5 power, yes.

It can be derived with the same equations discussed in this thread. Just recognize that the period is time taken for the object to go all the way around the circle. In other words, the time taken for the object to traverse a distance of [tex] 2 \pi R [/tex]. Noting that speed times time equals distance,

[tex] vP = 2 \pi R [/tex]

or

[tex] P = \frac{2 \pi R}{v} [/tex]

With that, combined with some other equations discussed in this thread, you should be able to calculate where the R1.5 proportionality comes from.

Last edited:
collinsmark said:
I wouldn't say that it's equal, but the period is proportional to distance raised to the 1.5 power, yes.

It can be derived with the same equations discussed in this thread. Just recognize that the period is time taken for the object to go all the way around the circle. In other words, the time taken for the object to traverse a distance of [tex] 2 \pi R [/tex]. Noting that speed times time equals distance,

[tex] vP = 2 \pi R [/tex]

or

[tex] P = \frac{2 \pi R}{v} [/tex]

With that, combined with some other equations discussed in this thread, you should be able to calculate where the R1.5 proportionality comes from.

I have just noticed I've used [itex]R^2[/itex] in my last post. This post has correctly stated the equation:

[tex] P = \frac{2 \pi R}{v} [/tex] without any sqaure term - sorry about that. Glad no one noticed... i think ;)

1. What is an orbit?

An orbit is the path that a planet or other object takes as it revolves around another object, such as a star or a planet. This path is determined by the gravitational forces between the two objects.

2. How does the angular momentum of a planet affect its orbit?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. In the case of a planet, its angular momentum is directly related to its orbital speed and distance from the object it is orbiting. The greater the angular momentum, the faster the planet will travel in its orbit and the more stable its orbit will be.

3. What factors influence the angular momentum of a planet?

The angular momentum of a planet is influenced by its mass, its distance from the object it is orbiting, and its speed. As the planet's mass or distance from the object changes, its angular momentum will also change. Additionally, if a planet's speed increases, its angular momentum will decrease and vice versa.

4. How is angular momentum conserved in the solar system?

In the absence of external forces, the total angular momentum of a system remains constant. This means that as planets orbit around the sun, their individual angular momentums may change, but the total angular momentum of the entire solar system remains constant. This conservation of angular momentum plays a crucial role in maintaining the stability of the orbits of planets in the solar system.

5. Can the angular momentum of a planet change over time?

Yes, the angular momentum of a planet can change over time due to external forces, such as the gravitational pull of other objects, or internal forces, such as tidal forces from the object it is orbiting. However, in a closed system like the solar system, the total angular momentum will remain constant.