Finding the Resultant Amplitude & Phase: A Practice Problem

In summary: I was using the x and y components of the resultant vector and not the amplitude. The amplitude is 0.52 regardless.
mmmboh
Hi, this isn't homework but a practice problem.
A particle is simultaneously subjected to three simple harmonic motions, all of the same frequency and in the x direction. The amplitudes are 0.25, 0.20, 0.15, and the face difference between the first and second is 450 and between the second and third is 300. Find the amplitude of the resultant displacement and its phase relative to the first component.

I made a diagram
i74bcm.jpg

The 0.25, 0.20, and 0.15 components are represented by Z1=A1ejwt, Z2=A2ej(wt+a), and Z3=A3ej(wt+b), adding them all together to give me the resultant component, and simplifying gives me: Z=ejwt[A1+A2eja+A3ejb]...so what I would think I am suppose to do is find the x component of the resultant vector and the y component, and use Pythagorean to find the resultant vector and then do arctan(y/x) to get the phase angle. The answers are 0.52 and 33.50.
I can get 0.52 for the amplitude, but that is only by taking the x component of the resultant vector and ignoring the rest, if I do it with Pythagorean I get [0.522 +0.2162]1/2=0.56, and the angle is arctan (0.216/0.52)=22.5...so apparently I am wrong, can someone help please?

Physics news on Phys.org

mmmboh said:
I can get 0.52 for the amplitude, but that is only by taking the x component of the resultant vector and ignoring the rest, if I do it with Pythagorean I get [0.522 +0.2162]1/2=0.56, and the angle is arctan (0.216/0.52)=22.5...so apparently I am wrong, can someone help please?

I can only get 0.52 for the amplitude if I use both the x and the y component of the resultant vector. I also don't get 0.216 for the y component. If you want to know
what's wrong show your calculation

Ok well for the x component I did 0.25+0.20cos45+0.15cos30=0.52...and for the y component I did 0.20sin45+0.15sin30=0.216...what am I doing wrong?

Hm I guess if i use 75 degrees for the third one instead of 30 degrees it works, that's how I originally did it, but in the book they made it seem like that's not the way :S

Edit: I think I see my mistake

1. What is the formula for finding the resultant amplitude and phase?

The formula for finding the resultant amplitude and phase is: R = sqrt(A^2 + B^2 + 2AB cos(Δφ))where A and B are the amplitudes of the two waves and Δφ is the phase difference between them.

2. Can you explain the concept of resultant amplitude and phase?

Resultant amplitude and phase represent the combined effect of two waves that are superimposed on each other. The resultant amplitude is the maximum height of the combined wave, while the resultant phase is the angle between the combined wave and the original wave.

3. How do you find the phase difference between two waves?

The phase difference between two waves can be found by comparing the peaks or troughs of the waves. If the peaks or troughs line up, the phase difference is 0 degrees. If the peaks or troughs are offset, the phase difference is a multiple of 180 degrees.

4. What does a positive resultant phase indicate?

A positive resultant phase indicates that the two waves are in phase, meaning their peaks and troughs line up. This results in constructive interference, where the combined wave has a larger amplitude than either of the individual waves.

5. Is there a limit to the amplitude and phase difference that can be calculated using this formula?

No, there is no limit to the amplitude and phase difference that can be calculated using this formula. However, it is important to note that this formula assumes ideal conditions and may not accurately represent real-world scenarios with complex waves.