What is the relationship between integrals and measures in measure theory?

In summary, the integral of a function is a special case of a measure, where it calculates the measure of the set described by the function over a given subset. The Riemann integral only satisfies the invariants of a measure for a limited class of functions, which is why the Lebesgue integral was introduced. However, it is possible to define functions whose integral is a measure, such as strictly positive functions. The Radon-Nikodym theorem can help understand the relationship between measures and measurable functions.
cappadonza
I just beginning to study measure theory. so far from what i understand so far , can we say in general, an integral is a measure, (ie it is nothing but a set function. a mapping [tex] F : \mathcal{F} \rightarrow \mathbb{R} [/tex] where [tex] \mathcal{F} [/tex] is a family of sets.

does it make sense to say in general an integral of a function F, is [tex] \int_{A} F d\mu [/tex] is the measure of the image of the [tex] F [/tex] over some set [tex] A [/tex] using the measure [tex] \mu [/tex]. with the condition the image of [tex] F [/tex] over [tex] A [/tex] must be measurable using the measure [tex] \mu [/tex]

so for example the two that i know are lebesgue-integral, lebesgue-stieltjes integral, are basically are general integrals using different measures.

if we could say the above then where would the riemann integral fit into this.
sorry if this is a bit vague, I'm trying to get my head around this stuff

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, I would say your description is wrong. Why not wait a couple more weeks in the course, then try to fomulate it again?

I'm not actually doing a course, i work full-time, its something I'm trying to learn through self-study. i go back re-learn what i thought i knew and re-formulate it in the next week or so
thanks

okay here is my second attempt:
A measure is a set function [tex] \mathcal{F} \to \Re [/tex]. where [tex] \mathcal{F} [/tex] is a sigma-algebra. the invariants it must satisfy are it countable additive and the measure of a null-set is zero.
Now integral [tex] \int_{B} f d\mu [/tex] is nothing but a special case of a measure, where it calculates the measure of the set described by [tex]f [/tex] over the set [tex] B [/tex]. The arbitrary measure [tex] \mu [/tex] is use to calculate the measure of this set.
Since we viewing integral is as measure it must satisfy the invariants of a measure such as being countable additive. The Riemann-integral only satisfies this condition only a small class of functions, this why the Lebesgue integral is introduced, to over come some of these shor-coming

I'd say you're on the right track.

Even though the integral of a real-valued (measurable) function over a subset D of the domain on which the function is defined is not in general a measure, it is certainy possible (and easy) to define functions whose integral will be a measure.

E.g. a strictly positive real-valued function will have an integral that is a measure, but the intgral of a sine-wave will not fulfill the axioms of a measure.

You can, in fact, view any real-valued positive function as a quotient between two different measures on the same sigma-algebra: see the "Radon–Nikodym theorem", it was of great help for me understanding measures in relation to measurable functions.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve in a graph, or the accumulation of a quantity over a continuous range of values. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is commonly used in calculus.

2. How is an integral different from a measure?

An integral is a type of measure that calculates the size or quantity of something, while a measure can refer to various methods used to determine the size or quantity of an object or system. An integral is a specific type of measure that involves integration and is commonly used in calculus.

3. Can an integral be negative?

Yes, an integral can be negative. This can happen if the function being integrated has negative values over the range of integration. In this case, the value of the integral represents the negative area under the curve.

4. What is the relationship between an integral and a derivative?

An integral and a derivative are inverse operations of each other. A derivative is the rate of change of a function, while an integral is the accumulation of that function. In other words, a derivative tells you how fast something is changing, and an integral tells you how much something has changed over a specific range of values.

5. What are some real-life applications of integrals?

Integrals have various real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. Some examples include calculating the area under a velocity-time graph to find the displacement of an object, determining the total amount of water flow in a river, and finding the average value of a continuous variable in a data set.