Gravitational Wave Effect on Macroscopic Particles

In summary, it's unclear from the question what type of particles are being discussed. If light is moving in the manner described, then it would have some funky optical effects.
mgazza
Hi,
just a thought but if two elementary particles are traveling parallel to one another at the speed of light does particle a observe the gravitational wave from particle b and vice versa as they would in Newtonian gravitation?
i realize that gravity at this scale is negligible.

Mark

Physics news on Phys.org
mgazza said:
Hi,
just a thought but if two elementary particles are traveling parallel to one another at the speed of light does particle a observe the gravitational wave from particle b and vice versa as they would in Newtonian gravitation?

These have to be particles with zero rest mass, of course.

I'm not sure I completely understand what you had in mind, since the title you chose for the thread doesn't seem to relate to the question you asked.

I'm also not clear on why you say "gravitational wave" rather than "gravitational force." Newtonian gravitation doesn't have gravitational waves, and even in GR, I wouldn't expect there to be a gravitational wave in the situation you describe (in the sense of gravitational radiation that takes energy from a source and carries it away to infinity).

I doubt that the answer to the question depends on which specific type of zero-rest-mass particle you talk about, so let's assume we're talking about light.

I've heard that light rays traveling in the same direction experience zero gravitational attraction, which is different from what you would expect naively based on mass-energy equivalence. I haven't seen this statement given by an authoritative source, and I haven't seen an argument or calculation offered as to why it would be so. Light waves that are not traveling in parallel directions certainly will interact gravitationally. There is a whole subfield of GR concerned with colliding gravitational and electromagnetic waves.

I have to ask as bcrowell did... why the title?

sorry it was a bit of a mind dump. I’m currently occupied with simulating through software a well know physics experiment for my dissertation.
I have implemented Newtonian gravitation in the simulation; it just crossed my mind that the simulation may be wrong as particles traveling parallel and in the same direction as one another will have no gravitational attraction to one another (after just reading and reminding myself about GR). I was picturing the classic model the dent in the fabric around the particles and as the gravitational waves travel out at the same rate as the particles the waves never interact ahead of the particles.
As for why I implemented Newtonian gravitation the simple answer is it’s easier to do.
also I was under the impression that GR was only going to yield different answers if I was going to simulate massive bodies of mass with considerable distance between them

Ahhh, I see where you're coming from. As it happens however, Numerical GR simulates test particles too, even if they tend to be concerned with the 2-body problem (massive, distance, as you say). If light is moving (as trains in opposite directions) in the manner you describe, and it DID interact, that would lead to some funky optical effects I think.

I don't see a problem with what you're doing assuming normal m=0 test particles.

EDIT: To clarifiy, if you DO expect mutual attraction between the light, that would seem to be in error.

Frame Dragger said:
If light is moving (as trains in opposite directions) in the manner you describe, and it DID interact, that would lead to some funky optical effects I think.

that was my thoughts exactly!
Frame Dragger said:
EDIT: To clarifiy, if you DO expect mutual attraction between the light, that would seem to be in error.

im calculating gravity currently between all objects in the system using the clasical formula.
am is this in error?

1. What are gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time caused by the acceleration of massive objects. They were predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity and were first detected in 2015.

2. How do gravitational waves affect macroscopic particles?

Gravitational waves have a stretching and squeezing effect on space-time. This causes particles to move back and forth in the direction of wave propagation, resulting in a tiny change in their position and velocity. This effect is extremely small and only detectable with highly sensitive equipment.

3. Can gravitational waves be observed in everyday life?

No, gravitational waves are only observable in extreme cosmic events, such as the collision of two black holes or the explosion of a supernova. These events produce large enough gravitational waves to be detected by sensitive instruments on Earth.

4. How are gravitational waves detected?

Gravitational waves are detected using interferometry, which involves splitting a laser beam into two and measuring the difference in the time it takes for each beam to travel. When a gravitational wave passes through, it causes a very small change in the length of the arms of the interferometer, which can be measured.

5. What is the significance of detecting gravitational waves?

The detection of gravitational waves provides evidence for the existence of black holes and other extreme cosmic events. It also opens up a new field of astronomy, allowing us to observe the universe in a completely different way. Furthermore, it confirms Einstein's theory of general relativity and has the potential to further our understanding of the nature of gravity.