What career path should I choose with a BS in Physics/math minor?

• Thread starter Shackleford
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Focus
In summary, the student wants to explore possible areas of interest by taking a variety of courses and reading publications. He also recommends taking time to think about what career he wants and reading about it.
Shackleford
Even though, it is two years off, I need to start thinking about what I want to do with BS in Physics/math minor. Time will fly, I'm sure. Right off the bat, I'd like to get into graduate school if my grades are good enough. Frankly, I go to an upper-level Tier 2 school. Ideally, I'd like to get into a lower-level Tier 1 school. But that's down the road.

I really need to figure out what career I want and in what field or industry. A guy at work said you can basically break it down into three categories: research, engineering, manager. I suspect I fall in between research and engineering. More importantly, though, I need to find a field that interests me. How should I go about that?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would encourage you to explore possible areas of interest by taking a variety of courses. If you can get it, do some work (paid or volunteer) for a professor. You don't always have to pick a project in the field you intend to go into. Sometimes the biggest thing you and learn is that you're not cut out for a field. The point is to get as much experience as possible so that your choice of direction after undergrad is as informed as possible.

The other thing I would suggest is reading. As you move into senior level classes, you should also start reading publications like Science, Nature, and Physics Today, as they cover not only "hot" research, but also tend to be a little more favourable to a general audience (as opposed to specific academic journals). Read the articles and then talk with your classmates and professors about them.

Choppy said:
I would encourage you to explore possible areas of interest by taking a variety of courses. If you can get it, do some work (paid or volunteer) for a professor. You don't always have to pick a project in the field you intend to go into. Sometimes the biggest thing you and learn is that you're not cut out for a field. The point is to get as much experience as possible so that your choice of direction after undergrad is as informed as possible.

The other thing I would suggest is reading. As you move into senior level classes, you should also start reading publications like Science, Nature, and Physics Today, as they cover not only "hot" research, but also tend to be a little more favourable to a general audience (as opposed to specific academic journals). Read the articles and then talk with your classmates and professors about them.

Thanks for the reply. Well, all my classes are laid out until I graduate. In addition to the physics core, my physics electives will probably be Intro to Solid Sate and Intro to Particle Physics. I just finished my first upper-level course - Modern Physics I. Next semester will be MP II (Quantum) and Intermediate Mechanics. Reading the publications is a good idea. Perhaps I'll get a subscription. Any of the ones mentioned politically biased? Off the top of my head, an area I think that interests me is high-energy research. That's one of the reasons why I need/want to take the introductory particle physics class. I think seeing what's out there will help me decide. I just need to know where to look.

Shackleford said:
Perhaps I'll get a subscription.

Your university should have a site subscription to journals, you can either get a list of subscribed journals from your library or IT service or you can just go poking around and see which journals give you access.

Otherwise, like Choppy says. You could also even buy some popular science subscriptions like New Scientist or the like, and if you find something fascinating do a bit more reading to see what's involved - the same applies with any material you're given in classes. It took me a long time to figure out what I wanted to do, though I thought I had made my decision in the second year of university I changed my mind right at the end. So, take your time, don't mentally commit to anyone career path until you're right there at the end applying though it is good to make some aims and goals.

I can understand the importance of planning and thinking about your career path early on. It is great that you are already considering your options and have a clear goal of going to graduate school.

In terms of choosing a career path, there are several factors to consider. First, think about your interests and passions. What topics in physics and math have you enjoyed learning about the most? This can give you an idea of which field or industry you may want to pursue.

Next, research the job market and demand for different careers in physics and math. This can help you make an informed decision about which path may have more opportunities and job security.

Additionally, consider your skills and strengths. Are you more inclined towards theoretical research or hands-on engineering work? This can help guide you towards a specific career path within the broader categories of research and engineering.

Networking and talking to professionals in the field can also give you valuable insights and help you narrow down your options. Attend career fairs, join professional organizations, and participate in internships or research projects to gain practical experience and connect with experts in your field of interest.

Lastly, keep an open mind and be willing to explore different options. Your interests and goals may change as you gain more experience and knowledge. It's okay to take some time to figure out what truly excites you and aligns with your skills and values. With a BS in physics and a math minor, you have a wide range of opportunities available to you. Trust your instincts and make an informed decision that will lead you towards a fulfilling and successful career.

1. How do I determine my research question?

To narrow your focus, start by brainstorming potential research topics and identifying your interests. Then, conduct a preliminary literature review to see what research has already been done in those areas. From there, you can refine your ideas and develop a specific research question.

2. How do I choose a specific aspect of my topic to focus on?

Once you have a general idea for your research question, it's important to narrow it down to a specific aspect or angle. This can be done by considering the scope and feasibility of your topic, as well as the potential impact and relevance to your field of study.

3. What methods can I use to narrow my focus?

There are several methods you can use to narrow your focus, such as conducting a literature review, consulting with experts in your field, and conducting pilot studies or experiments. Additionally, you can use brainstorming techniques or mind mapping to visually organize your ideas and narrow down your focus.

4. How do I ensure that my research question is feasible?

To ensure that your research question is feasible, it's important to consider the availability of resources, time constraints, and potential ethical considerations. You may also want to consult with your peers or supervisor to get feedback on the feasibility of your research question.

5. Can I change my research question after narrowing my focus?

Yes, it is common to make adjustments to your research question as you continue to narrow your focus and gather more information. However, it's important to consult with your supervisor or research team before making any major changes to ensure that your research remains cohesive and feasible.