What would happen if the uncertainty principle was false?

In summary, the uncertainty principle is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics that is essential for describing the behavior of particles. It states that certain properties of particles, like their momentum and position, can only be known with certain levels of accuracy. This limits the accuracy with which we can predict future and past behavior of the system.
haael
We have the uncertainty principle. How would our world be different, if someone measured position and momentum of a particle with 100% accuracy? Would some other laws of physics be violated, too?

I mean - what laws of physics depend on uncertainty?

It is clear to me, that the whole wavefunction approach would be false. But what else? Something about entropy? Would double-slit experiment be still possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm just a student, but, as far as I know, every process in the universe that we know of relies on the uncertainty principle. there would be none of the four forces, no matter - everything would not exist; the universe woud still be chaos.

there would be none of the four forces
Right. Out current description of interaction relies heavily on the uncertainty. But I doubt that anything wouldn't exist. Classical physics doesn't have uncertainty and it does exist happily, with some inconsistency with experiment - there is no double-slit pattern, there are different predictions on entropy etc. And there is the ultraviolet catastrophe, but as said, interactions require uncertainty.

My question is - how much of quantum world can we drag into classical physics without introducing uncertainty of momentum and position?

haael said:
Right. Out current description of interaction relies heavily on the uncertainty. But I doubt that anything wouldn't exist. Classical physics doesn't have uncertainty and it does exist happily, with some inconsistency with experiment - there is no double-slit pattern, there are different predictions on entropy etc. And there is the ultraviolet catastrophe, but as said, interactions require uncertainty.

My question is - how much of quantum world can we drag into classical physics without introducing uncertainty of momentum and position?

Classical mechanics can be formulated in terms of position and momentum variables. Classically, if we know the positions and momenta of a set of particles at any time point, all future and past configurations of that system can be predicted.

When we get to the quantum level, the position and momentum are replaced by operators, however those operators don't commute, and so we immediately get the uncertainty principle. Furthermore, we expect based on the Bohr correspondence principle that all classical systems evolve smoothly out of quantum systems with increasing quantum numbers (and dimensions and masses).

My point is that the HUP is intertwined with the physics of our reality as such a fundamental level that it is basically meaningless *from a physical point of view* to speculate how things would be different without it. On the other hand, mathematically it is quite clear how to deal with this .. we do it in stat mech all the time. For any expression involving hbar, you can get the classical approximation by taking the limit of the expression as hbar goes to zero. Or equivalently you can just take [x,p]=0 and see what happens. I guess you will get garbage .. just look at the Ehrenfest theorem, by which the classical laws of motion are expressed as averages of QM operators, using the Heisenberg equation of motion. None of that works out if [x,p]=0.

What would happen if the uncertainty principle was false?

If the uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty, was false, it would have significant implications for the field of physics.

1. How would it affect our understanding of quantum mechanics?

The uncertainty principle is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, so if it was proven to be false, our understanding of this branch of physics would need to be reevaluated. It could potentially lead to a shift in our understanding of the behavior of particles on a subatomic level.

2. Would it change the way we view the concept of determinism?

The uncertainty principle is closely tied to the concept of determinism, which states that all events are predetermined by previous causes. If it was proven to be false, it could challenge the idea of determinism and suggest that there is more randomness in the universe than previously thought.

3. Could it have practical applications?

If the uncertainty principle was found to be false, it could open up new possibilities for technological advancements. For example, it could lead to the development of more accurate and precise measuring instruments, which could have various applications in fields such as medicine and engineering.

4. How would it impact existing theories and equations?

The uncertainty principle is incorporated into many existing theories and equations in physics, such as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and the Schrödinger equation. If it was proven to be false, these theories and equations would need to be revised or replaced with new ones that better explain the behavior of particles.

5. What experiments or evidence could potentially disprove the uncertainty principle?

Currently, there is no evidence or experiments that disprove the uncertainty principle. However, some physicists have proposed thought experiments and theoretical models that could potentially challenge the principle. These include the "double-slit" experiment and "hidden variables" theory. Further research and experimentation would be needed to determine the validity of these ideas.