Am i too late to start focusing on math/physic?

• Thread starter kntsy
  • Start date
In summary: That doesn't make any sense. You should have pursued a love for those subjects, and pursued them with an intensity that would have impressed even the most hardcore experts.
kntsy
I am 20 and i have finished year 1 major in mathematical physics. My gpa is 2.57 and so low that i totally lose my faith.
I grew up in an ordinary family. I am not a math/science oriented guy and i have interest in almost everything. I just started focusing on math/physics since i went to college. I found that it is too late. Excellent students I discover all have their focus on science early, say 10 years old learning calculus already, participating in math competitions, science camp,whatever. Ironically, i only learned there are things called IMO,GPA,grad.school,physicist,mathematician after i went to college.
The reason i choose studying science is that i love it.
I am not here blaming that i had no enlightnment when i was younger. But is it too late ,in my 20, to start focusing on math/physics which my peers focused when they were like 10? Also what can i do to bring up my gpa(which i find important) so i have some hope of getting a job in future?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
No way no way no way. Let me tell you, I did TERRIBLE in high school(due to laziness and family issues), I didn't take one calc or physics class in high school, and the only honors/ap classes I took were like psychology and english. I got my act together after high school and went to a local community college, and now I am at the university studying EE and minor in CS.

The thing is its going to be hard for you. I had to play a TON of catch up and I am sure I had a more difficult time with many of the subjects because I didn't have as great a background in them as other people. If your serious about this then your going to need to spend some time reviewing topics you might be weak in, like algebra, etc, and going and getting help at your school math lab or whatever.

Trust me its a lot of work playing catch up but it will pay off.

Edit - the only thing you can do to bring up your GPA is good better grades. You need to narrow down your weaknesses, whether it be a certain subject (algebra for example), or your studying skills, then go from there.

Hi Kntsy,

I started to be interested in science very late. At high school I was an awful student and I managed to finish my studies with one year more than average. I got no passion at all and I then decided to join University (an engineering address) just because it was the trend in my country. At the first year I started to develop a growing interest in science matter, so growing that I decided to change my address from engineering to physics. I remind well all the difficulties I experienced, my basis were poor or absents compared to those of my classmates. Nonetheless I got a master with a very good mark and now I am continuing my work in a PhD. I am older than average and certainly I am not a genius but I got satisfaction from my work and if I will have the chance I will surely continue this job.

Starting late is a penalty, but if your passion is sincere I think you must follow it. Work hard and remember that bad thoughts about your ages or your past are psychological traps you are likely to fall in.

Good science,

Ll.

kntsy said:
I am 20 and i have finished year 1 major in mathematical physics. My gpa is 2.57 and so low that i totally lose my faith.
I grew up in an ordinary family. I am not a math/science oriented guy and i have interest in almost everything. I just started focusing on math/physics since i went to college. I found that it is too late. Excellent students I discover all have their focus on science early, say 10 years old learning calculus already, participating in math competitions, science camp,whatever. Ironically, i only learned there are things called IMO,GPA,grad.school,physicist,mathematician after i went to college.
The reason i choose studying science is that i love it.
I am not here blaming that i had no enlightnment when i was younger. But is it too late ,in my 20, to start focusing on math/physics which my peers focused when they were like 10? Also what can i do to bring up my gpa(which i find important) so i have some hope of getting a job in future?

Maybe I misread something here, but there's something that's very puzzling.

You're 20 years old. You professed to have a love for math and physics. But you had just finished your first year undergraduate studies in "mathematical physics", with a GPA of 2.57! You already lost your "focus" after barely a year?

What am I missing here?

Zz.

1. Am I too late to start focusing on math/physic?

There is no set age or timeline for when you can start focusing on math and physics. As long as you are willing to put in the time and effort to learn, you can start at any age.

2. Will I struggle if I haven't studied math/physics before?

While it may be challenging at first, it is not impossible to catch up on math and physics if you haven't studied them before. With determination and perseverance, you can still achieve success in these subjects.

3. What if I don't have a strong background in math/physics?

Having a strong background in math and physics can certainly be helpful, but it is not a requirement to excel in these subjects. With proper studying techniques and seeking help when needed, you can still achieve your goals.

4. Can I still have a successful career in math/physics if I start late?

Yes, you can still have a successful career in math and physics even if you start focusing on them later in life. Many successful scientists and mathematicians have started their journeys later in life, and it is never too late to pursue your passions.

5. How can I catch up on the material if I start late?

If you start focusing on math and physics later in life, it is important to make a plan and stay organized. Seek out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or tutoring services to help you catch up on the material. Additionally, don't be afraid to ask questions and seek help from teachers or peers. With dedication and hard work, you can catch up on the material and achieve success.