Oops, I didn't read the post good enough, sorry!Last edited: Oct 30, 2016

In summary, the conversation is about whether the Hubble Space Telescope can distinguish any features on Pluto, given its distance from Earth (28.6 AU) and the knowledge of its diameter (2274km) and the telescope's angular resolution (0.1"). The suggestion is to use the small angle formula to calculate the angular diameter of Pluto and determine if it is possible for the telescope to distinguish features on the surface. It is also mentioned that the person asking the question will have to do their own calculations.
LoveTheStars
I have a question that I could really use some help mathematically on.

At its closest to Earth, Pluto is 28.6 AU from Earth. Can the Hubble Space Telescope distringuish any features on Pluto? Justify your answers using calculations.

Please help!

I know that the diameter of Pluto is 2274km and the angular resolution is 0.1"
The small angle formula can be used and it is:
D= angular size of object in arcsec x distance to object / 206265

(206265 is required and equal to the number of arcseconds in a complete circle)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

With the information you have (distance to pluto and diameter of Pluto), you can calculate the angular diameter of Pluto from earth. That'll give you your answer.

thank you I am working on it now!

LoveTheStars said:
I have a question that I could really use some help mathematically on.

At its closest to Earth, Pluto is 28.6 AU from Earth. Can the Hubble Space Telescope distringuish any features on Pluto? Justify your answers using calculations.

Please help!

I know that the diameter of Pluto is 2274km and the angular resolution is 0.1"
The small angle formula can be used and it is:
D= angular size of object in arcsec x distance to object / 206265

(206265 is required and equal to the number of arcseconds in a complete circle)

Hi LoveTheStars, welcome to PF!

Try New Hubble Maps of Pluto Show Surface Changes, but you have to do your own homework calculations.

Garth

Hello, it's great that you are seeking help with your question. Based on the small angle formula and the given values, we can calculate the angular size of Pluto when it is closest to Earth. This would be approximately 1.36 arcseconds.

However, the Hubble Space Telescope has an angular resolution of 0.1 arcseconds, meaning it can only distinguish objects that are at least 0.1 arcseconds apart. Since the angular size of Pluto is smaller than the resolution of the telescope, it would not be able to distinguish any features on Pluto.

In order to see features on Pluto, we would need a telescope with a higher angular resolution, or we would need to wait for Pluto to be closer to Earth. I hope this helps with your question. Remember to always double check your calculations and make sure you understand the concepts behind them. Good luck!

1. What is the Hubble Telescope?

The Hubble Telescope is a powerful space telescope launched by NASA in 1990. It orbits around the Earth and captures high-resolution images and data from the far reaches of the universe.

2. How does the Hubble Telescope work?

The Hubble Telescope works by using a series of mirrors and lenses to capture light from distant objects in space. The light is then focused onto a camera or instrument, which records the data and sends it back to Earth.

3. What has the Hubble Telescope discovered about Pluto?

The Hubble Telescope has made several important discoveries about Pluto, including its size, surface composition, and the presence of a thin atmosphere. It also observed the dwarf planet's four smaller moons for the first time.

4. Why is the Hubble Telescope important for studying Pluto?

The Hubble Telescope is crucial for studying Pluto because it can capture detailed images and data from much farther away than ground-based telescopes. This allows scientists to better understand the characteristics and behavior of Pluto and its surrounding environment.

5. Has the Hubble Telescope visited Pluto?

No, the Hubble Telescope has not physically visited Pluto. It is an Earth-orbiting telescope and is not capable of traveling to other planets. However, it has provided valuable information and insights about Pluto from a distance.