Design a human-powered machine

In summary, the conversation is about designing a human-powered machine and the use of simple machines in the design. It also includes a suggestion to visit a website and an offer for assistance with projects.
seve
I would like a few ideas about a project of mine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Design a human-powered machine of some kind. Describe the simple machines used in your design, and tell what each of these machines does.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
uh... that's quite vague. anything at all?

whell u should be a bit more specific
money
time
restriants
ur level of ability

It doesn't sound like a design project but rather a description of simple machines. There are a lot of human powered machines: Bicycles, airplanes, helicopters, boats, submarines, cutting machines, sewing machines, lifting machines, digging machines.

Does your machine need to be used for locomotion or just a human powered machine in general? Do you know what the simple machines are? If so, any machine you envision can be broken down into an aggregate of simple machines.

I have been very successful with my work bike fabrication and would like to invite you to my web page... www.pedalpowerbiketaxi.com[/URL] ...to take a look at the opportunities we have created for many to use in the new world of Human Powered Alternative Vehicles. Just hit the Work Bike Fabrication Links...and enjoy the revolution!James Simpson

ps...let me know if you need some assistance with your projects...we are heading to Smith College to design a Work Bike for food delivery on campus, in place of a van, and will be a contestant in the Vehicle Design Summit at MIT this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
PedalPower said:
I have been very successful with my work bike fabrication and would like to invite you to my web page... www.pedalpowerbiketaxi.com [Broken] ...to take a look at the opportunities we have created for many to use in the new world of Human Powered Alternative Vehicles. Just hit the Work Bike Fabrication Links...and enjoy the revolution!

James Simpson

Sorry to say, but your website link doesn't seem to work.

Here is a website which has some interesting information on human powered machines, and their history: http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2011/05/pedal-powered-farms-and-factories.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What exactly is a human-powered machine?

A human-powered machine is a device or mechanism that utilizes human energy or force to perform a specific function or task. This can include anything from simple tools like hammers and shovels, to more complex machines such as bicycles and rowing machines.

2. How is a human-powered machine designed?

Designing a human-powered machine involves understanding the intended function of the machine and then creating a structure that can efficiently and effectively convert human energy into mechanical energy. This often requires a combination of mechanical engineering principles and ergonomic considerations.

3. What are the benefits of using human-powered machines?

Human-powered machines have several benefits, including being environmentally friendly and sustainable, promoting physical activity and exercise, and being cost-effective and low maintenance. They also do not require any external power sources, making them ideal for use in remote or off-grid areas.

4. What are some examples of human-powered machines?

There are many different types of human-powered machines, including bicycles, treadmills, hand-cranked generators, and even manual water pumps. Other examples include rowing machines, elliptical trainers, and hand tools like saws and drills.

5. How can human-powered machines be improved or optimized?

To improve or optimize a human-powered machine, it is important to consider factors such as the efficiency of energy conversion, ergonomics for user comfort and safety, and the durability and reliability of the machine. Constant testing and refinement can also help to identify and address any design flaws or limitations.