Question about the conservation of momentum?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of movement in a vacuum of space with no initial velocity. The participants consider the potential energy present in this scenario and how it can be converted to kinetic energy by moving one's arms. The concept of momentum conservation is also brought up, and the possibility of moving one's body in a different direction by moving only one arm is mentioned. The conversation ends with a humorous suggestion of pulling one's head off to conserve momentum.
zeromodz
If I were to just spawn into a complete vacuum of space with no initial velocity (momentum). Disregarding the fact that I would die due to lack of pressure and oxygen, would I be able to move my arms or legs at all because I would have no place to take the momentum from?

Physics news on Phys.org
Weird question.
If you spawned in space you must also spawn an awful lot of potential energy which defines what you are. Then what's the big deal that you then convert some of that potential energy to kinetic energy by flapping your arms? It's no different from what you do every day.

When you flap your arms your body will move in the opposite direction from the flapping - momentum will be conserved.

mathman said:
When you flap your arms your body will move in the opposite direction from the flapping - momentum will be conserved.

But what if you don't flap them, what if you just move one arm over? What would happen?

Then the rest of your body would move the opposite way such that your center of mass would remain the same.

:rofl:

Then you could pull your head off and throw it away - that would conserve momentum too.

1. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in a system where no external forces are acting, the total momentum before an event must equal the total momentum after the event.

2. Why is the conservation of momentum important?

The conservation of momentum is important because it is a fundamental principle of physics that allows us to predict the outcomes of interactions between objects. It is also a key concept in understanding the behavior of objects in motion and plays a crucial role in many real-world applications such as collisions and explosions.

3. How is momentum conserved in a collision?

In a collision, momentum is conserved because the total momentum of the objects before the collision must be equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that if one object gains momentum, another object must lose an equal amount of momentum in order for the total momentum to remain constant.

4. What are some examples of conservation of momentum in everyday life?

Some examples of conservation of momentum in everyday life include a billiard game, where the momentum of the cue ball is transferred to the other balls upon impact, and a rocket launching into space, where the momentum of the gas expelled from the rocket propels it forward.

5. How does the conservation of momentum relate to Newton's third law of motion?

The conservation of momentum is closely related to Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when two objects interact, they exert equal and opposite forces on each other, resulting in a conservation of momentum.