Calculating Equivalent Resistance in Coated Substrate Circuits

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Ohm's law in a circuit where a poorly conductive substrate material is coated on both sides with a highly conductive material. The question is whether this configuration can be simplified to three parallel resistances and if the effective resistance can be reduced by using a highly conductive material. However, the expert explains that the resistances are actually in series and that it is not possible to calculate the effective resistivity of a composite material.
Tanveer Saleh
Hello I have a question to ask you. Your help will be highly appreciated. Kindly refer to a scenario where a substrate material ‘B’ is coated both side with a coating material ‘A’. The whole thing is then connected to a voltage source. Here B is poorly conductive and A is highly conductive.

If I want to apply Ohm’s law in the above circuit can I assume that there are 3 resistance in parallel (Namely top coating Ra,middle substrateRb,bottom coatingRa)?

And can I further calculate the Req by combining these 3 resistance?

If so then can we conclude that effective electrical resistance can be reduced if it is coated with high conductive material?

How do I calculate the effective resistivity (of the combined coated material)?

Your help would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand your description.
It sounds like a simple 'sandwich' where the electricity is set to flow top-to-bottom.

i.e. in - bread - lettuce - bread - out

In which case, the resistances are in series not parallel and I can't make any sense of the rest of the question.

Hello AJ Bentley,
Thanks for the reply.
pls see the attached file for the circuit config.

Attachments

• circuit_config.doc
    24 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
The final resistance of such an arrangement would depend very strongly on the precise size and shape of each part and on exactly how the connections are made to it.

Very roughly, you can say that there are three parallel paths for the electricity, two passing through the outside materials (All material A) and one passing through the middle (material A then B then A again). But as I said, to calculate resistance values for each path using resistivity would be complicated.

To answer your second question: Putting conductive material round a poor conductor does not change it's intrinsic resistivity, it simply provides a short circuit.
You can't talk about the resistivity of a composite. The concept doesn't make sense in that context. It is a value given to homogeneous materials to allow resistance to be calculated for different shapes and sizes. You could calculate a number certainly - but the number would have no value.
It's like talking about the density of 'water with lumps of lead in it'.

Hello, thank you for your question. When calculating equivalent resistance in coated substrate circuits, it is important to consider the properties of each material and how they affect the overall resistance. In this scenario, the substrate material 'B' is poorly conductive while the coating material 'A' is highly conductive. This means that there will be a significant difference in resistance between the two materials.

To answer your first question, yes, you can assume that there are three resistances in parallel in this circuit. The top and bottom coatings, Ra, will have a lower resistance compared to the middle substrate, Rb. However, it is important to note that the overall resistance will also depend on the thickness of the coatings and the material properties of each component.

To calculate the equivalent resistance, you can use the formula for parallel resistors: 1/Req = 1/Ra + 1/Rb + 1/Ra. By combining these three resistances, you can determine the overall resistance of the coated substrate circuit.

In terms of the effective resistivity of the combined coated material, this can be calculated by considering the resistivity of each individual material and the thickness of the coatings. The effective resistivity will be lower than that of the poorly conductive substrate material, as the highly conductive coating materials will reduce the overall resistance.

In conclusion, coating a poorly conductive substrate material with a highly conductive material can reduce the overall resistance of the circuit. However, the specific calculations for the effective resistivity will depend on the properties and thickness of the coatings used. I hope this helps answer your question. Best of luck with your research.

What is equivalent resistance in coated substrate circuits?

Equivalent resistance in coated substrate circuits refers to the total resistance of a circuit that has multiple resistors connected in series or parallel. It is a single resistor value that can replace the entire circuit without changing its behavior.

How do I calculate equivalent resistance in coated substrate circuits?

The method for calculating equivalent resistance in coated substrate circuits depends on the type of circuit. For series circuits, you can simply add up the resistance values of each resistor to get the total equivalent resistance. For parallel circuits, you can use the formula 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ..., where Req is the equivalent resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the resistance values of each individual resistor.

Why is calculating equivalent resistance important?

Calculating equivalent resistance allows us to simplify complex circuits and make calculations easier. It also helps us understand the overall behavior of the circuit and determine the current and voltage at different points.

What are some common mistakes when calculating equivalent resistance?

One common mistake is forgetting to convert units to the same measurement before adding or using the formula. Another mistake is not taking into account the direction of current flow in series and parallel circuits. Additionally, forgetting to include the resistance of any wires or connections in the circuit can also lead to incorrect calculations.

How does the coating on the substrate affect equivalent resistance?

The coating on the substrate can affect the equivalent resistance by changing the resistivity of the material. This, in turn, can affect the overall resistance of the circuit. Additionally, the coating can also impact the thermal and electrical conductivity of the circuit, which can further affect the equivalent resistance.