Voltage source connected with parallel.

In summary, if two different voltage sources are connected in parallel, the output voltage will be the highest voltage value.
u_know_who
Hi, if i add to different voltage source in parallel what will happen. I know that KVL forbid that and in pspice it shows simulation error. But i want to know what will really happen in practice.
Similarly to different current source in series?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You have to take the real circuit resistances and voltage source resistances into account.

Then you can use Spice or Kirchoff.

for parallel connection of voltage source, following are important points to come to conclusions:
*whether blocking diodes are used for avoiding reverse current flow?
*difference of both sources no load voltage?
*difference internal impedance of both sources?
*whether any load connected to this parallel combination?

aks786 said:
for parallel connection of voltage source, following are important points to come to conclusions:
*whether blocking diodes are used for avoiding reverse current flow?
*difference of both sources no load voltage?
*difference internal impedance of both sources?
*whether any load connected to this parallel combination?

OK...no diodes are added, and a resistance is added parallel to that combination.
What will happen?

If no diodes are added and if the internal impedance of the sources are not equal then there will be circulating currents between the sources, even if their voltages are same,which is highly undesirable. That's why we should add blocking diodes.

So post your circuit and your analysis attempt so that we can discuss it.

This thread is a good example in which using a simulator alone can lose the essence of basic Science.
A voltage source has zero internal resistance so a computer simulation has to decide what do do when about a nonsense answer would result from some 'impossible' input values. It can either say "Sorry, can't do it guv' " or assume that its voltage source has a finite resistance. People don't like the "can't do it" response and are often prepared to accept a more 'friendly' answer. But you must beware.

I think it is necessary to go back to the original circuit and decide what, exactly, the parameters of the 'voltage source', which, being a theoretical concept, can source or sink as much current as necessary to produce its voltage. This is, potentially, a smoke making machine! It's another GIGO moment.

well its a long confusion of mine. However i have got one answers that if two different voltage source are connected in parallel then the output will be the highest voltage value. Because the higher value will suppress the lower voltage which is connected in parallel. And if two different current sources are connected in series then the amount of current flowing is the lower current source. Coz higher current can't pass through the lower current source.

u_know_who said:
well its a long confusion of mine. However i have got one answers that if two different voltage source are connected in parallel then the output will be the highest voltage value. Because the higher value will suppress the lower voltage which is connected in parallel. And if two different current sources are connected in series then the amount of current flowing is the lower current source. Coz higher current can't pass through the lower current source.

An 'ideal' voltage source maintains its voltage whatever you do to it. Hence, the thought experiment is actually meaningless because it would involve infinite current flowing from the higher voltage source to the lower one.

In practical terms, if you connect two hefty batteries then everything will get hot until one has gone flat or the other has boiled dry.

Simulators are very much GIGO devices. Beware of any conclusions you draw from them when inputting unrealistic values. They are a bit like a lot of other software that can 'do your thinking for you' and, rather than throw up an error, they will substitute values which avoid inconvenient results.

Keep you feet on reality; fit simulated fuses and read the actual characteristics of all simulated components.

different value ideal voltage source in parallel is not defined. Only same value ideal voltage source can be connected in parallel.
for the non-ideal case, theorems are available.

I hope this answer the question.

1. What is a voltage source connected with parallel?

A voltage source connected with parallel is a type of electrical circuit in which multiple voltage sources are connected in parallel to the same load. This means that the positive terminals of all the voltage sources are connected together, as well as the negative terminals, and the load is connected between them.

2. How does a voltage source connected with parallel differ from a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the voltage sources are connected in a line, with the positive terminal of one connected to the negative terminal of the next. This results in a single path for the current to flow through. In a parallel circuit, the voltage sources are connected side by side, meaning there are multiple paths for the current to flow through. Additionally, in a parallel circuit, the voltage across each voltage source remains the same, while in a series circuit, the voltage is divided between the voltage sources.

3. What are the advantages of using a voltage source connected with parallel?

One advantage of using a voltage source connected with parallel is that it allows for the sharing of the load among multiple voltage sources, reducing the strain on each individual source. Another advantage is that if one voltage source fails, the others can continue to supply the load, providing a backup power source.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using a voltage source connected with parallel?

One disadvantage of using a voltage source connected with parallel is that it requires more complex wiring and connections compared to a series circuit. This can result in higher installation costs and increased maintenance. Additionally, if the voltage sources are not properly matched, it can lead to uneven distribution of the load and potential overloading of certain sources.

5. How can I calculate the total voltage in a parallel circuit with multiple voltage sources?

In a parallel circuit, the total voltage is equal to the voltage of the individual sources. This means that if there are three voltage sources connected in parallel, the total voltage would be the sum of the voltage of each source. For example, if the three sources have voltages of 5V, 10V, and 15V, the total voltage would be 30V (5V + 10V + 15V).