How can I amplify a weak PMT signal without creating too much error?

• Thread starter physguy09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Signal
In summary, the speaker is having trouble using the Ortec Aspec-927 MCA with Maestro-32 to detect muons. They attempted to amplify the PMT signal using a 16-channel amplifier, but it did not work. They then checked the PMT and amplifier signals on an oscilloscope and determined that the PMT was working properly. The speaker is wondering if it is advisable to feed the amplifier output back into the same amplifier to try amplifying again without causing too much error. They also mention ensuring the correct PMT output signal and termination are used for the 'scope and MCA, and the weak signal provided by muons as a minimum ionizing particle. They also provide a note about the proper coupling
physguy09
I was trying to use the Ortec Aspec-927 MCA with Maestro-32, and realized the PMT signal is too weak for it to detect. I passed the signal through a 16-channel amplifier, yet it is still not detecting anything. I passed the output from the PMT into an oscilloscope, and the PMT is working just fine, did the same thing from the amplifier output, and the amplifier did amplify the signal. Is it inadvisable to feed the output from the amplifier into the same amplfier (different channel) to try amplifying once more without creating too much error for the signal output? Please help! I would very much appreciate it.

NOTE: I am trying to use the PMT to detect muons, but running it by itself to make sure the apparatus as a whole will work, rather than trying to identify the missing components later.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Make sure you are using the correct PMT output signal; anode for a negative signal, dynode for a positive signal. Be sure to use the proper (same) termination for the 'scope and the MCA. Muons are a minimum ionizing particle, and provide a signal ~ 2 MeV per gram/cm2 (similar to a radioactive source), and a very weak signal in a Cerenkov radiator.

[added note] The anode signal should be dc-coupled to the transmission line and termination; the electrons need to flow to ground. The dynode signal has to be ac coupled to the transmission line; if the RC time constant is too fast, the MCA may not be able to integrate the area..

Bob S

Last edited:

1. How does amplifying the signal from a PMT improve the detection of light?

Amplifying the signal from a PMT, or photomultiplier tube, increases the strength of the electrical signal produced by the tube in response to incoming light. This allows for a more precise detection of low levels of light and improves the signal-to-noise ratio, making it easier to distinguish between signal and background noise.

2. What is the process of amplifying a signal from a PMT?

The process of amplifying a signal from a PMT involves passing the electrical signal produced by the tube through an amplifier circuit, which increases the signal strength. The amplified signal is then sent to a data acquisition system for further processing and analysis.

3. Is there a limit to how much the signal from a PMT can be amplified?

Yes, there is a limit to how much the signal from a PMT can be amplified. This limit is determined by the maximum voltage that can be applied to the tube without damaging it, as well as the noise level of the amplifier circuit. It is important to carefully choose the amplification level to avoid distorting the signal or introducing excessive noise.

4. Can different types of amplifiers be used for amplifying signals from PMTs?

Yes, there are various types of amplifiers that can be used for amplifying signals from PMTs, such as transimpedance amplifiers, voltage amplifiers, and current amplifiers. The choice of amplifier will depend on the specific application and the desired signal amplification level.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to amplifying the signal from a PMT?

One potential drawback to amplifying the signal from a PMT is the introduction of additional noise. Amplifiers can introduce their own noise, which can affect the accuracy and sensitivity of the measurement. It is important to carefully select and optimize the amplifier to minimize noise and avoid compromising the quality of the data collected.