Physics behind Crumple zones

• Thread starter Priebe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, a crumple zone is a safety feature that reduces the impact force on the driver in the event of a car crash.
Priebe
I have been given an assignment on crumple zones. For part of the assignment we have to use physics formulas, I have searched but so far I haven't found any so if anyone could give me some physics formulas that would relate to this topic it would be most appreciated. This is for a science 21 assignment which is basically a mix of all sciences.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no exact formula for crumple zones (that i am aware of) but through using a range of other equations to prove that the crumple zone 'decrease force' on the driver. I have done a few question on crumple zones in my time and many asked the use of the force equation.

soz i can't help you much

Thanks for the help anyway. Hopefully there is some sort of physics formula that relates to it. If there are any that even loosely relate to crumple zones I will have them, every bit helps.

Crumple zones serve as a disposable pillow in the case when 2 cars collide. When they collide, the momentum will be lost. How quickly they lose their momentum is called impulse ( rate at which momentum changes

The longer the car takes to lose its momentum, the smaller the impulse. Crumple Zone reduces the impulse by increasing the impact time.

Impulse is what causes fatality.

Impulse = Mass x Velocity

See this website, to help calcuate Impulse and see how to calcuate other unknowns.

"http://www.ajdesigner.com/phpimpulse/impulse_equation_impulse.php"

Hope this helps

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you that is what I was after. Thanks for the help.

By the way that link doesn't work you need to remove one of the http: things and the quotations marks. I got the link working and got to the site, it will help a lot thanks

Last edited:
What happens when you hit the side of the crumple zone?

1. What are crumple zones and how do they work?

Crumple zones are a safety feature in cars that are designed to absorb and dissipate energy in the event of a collision. These zones are typically located in the front and rear of the car and are made from materials that can deform and crumple upon impact. This helps to reduce the force of the impact on the passengers inside the car.

2. How do crumple zones protect passengers during a car crash?

During a car crash, the crumple zones will deform and absorb a significant amount of the energy from the impact. This reduces the force that is transferred to the passenger compartment, providing a cushion and protecting the passengers from serious injuries.

3. What materials are used in crumple zones?

Most crumple zones are made from lightweight and strong materials such as aluminum, steel, or plastic. These materials are chosen for their ability to deform and absorb energy, while also being lightweight to not add too much extra weight to the car.

4. How are crumple zones designed and tested?

Crumple zones are designed using computer simulations and crash tests. Engineers use mathematical models to determine the optimal shape and materials for the crumple zones. The design is then tested using crash test dummies and sensors to measure the impact forces and ensure that the zones are effective in protecting passengers.

5. Do all cars have crumple zones?

Most modern cars are equipped with crumple zones as they are required by safety regulations. However, not all cars have the same level of protection. Some may have more extensive crumple zones or use different materials, so it is important to research a car's safety features before purchasing.