How is the Taylor expansion of 1/|r-r'| done in electrodynamics?

In summary, the conversation is about a Taylor expansion in an electrodynamics textbook that the person is having trouble understanding. The expansion involves differentiations and the author uses a specific expression to change them. The person asks for help and the other person explains that the first line is just the statement of the Taylor expansion in terms of components, while the second line is taking the derivative of the function with respect to the coordinates of r'. The conversation concludes with the person finally understanding the argument and thanking the other person.
silverwhale
I am wroking through an electrodynamics textbook and there is this Taylor expansion to do later a multipole expansion. But I can't figure out how the author does it. Please any help?

the expansion:

[tex] \frac{1}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r'}|} = \frac{1}{r} - \sum^3_{i=1} x'_i \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} \frac{1}{r} + \frac{1}{2} \sum^3_{i,j=1} x'_i x'_j \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} \frac{\partial}{\partial x_j}\frac{1}{r} + \mathellipsis [/tex]

And he writes "the occurring differenciations were changed using:"

[tex] (\frac{\partial}{\partial x'_i} \frac{1}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r'}|})_{r'=0} = - (\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} \frac{1}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r'}|})_{r'=0} = - \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} \frac{1}{r} [/tex]

I just can't follow his argument..

Physics news on Phys.org
The first line is just the statement of the taylor expansion (of a function of 3 variables) about r'.

It may not seem familiar because here he is expressing everything in terms of components.

As for the second line, all he is doing is taking the derivative of [itex]\frac{1}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r'}|}[/itex] with respect to the coordinates of r'.

The he say, "Oh this will be the same as the negative derivative of the same function with respect to r." (The negative sign appears because of the chain rule and the negative in front of r' inside the function.)

If you don't believe this you can work out the derivatives explicitly and prove the relation. Use:

[tex]\frac{1}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r'}|}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{(x-x')^2+(y-y')^2+(z-z')^2}}[/tex]

Is he doing the taylor expansion around r taking it as a constant and r' being the variable?

But all in all I got you argument! Thanks!

1. What is the Taylor expansion of 1/|r-r'|?

The Taylor expansion of 1/|r-r'| is a mathematical series that approximates the value of 1/|r-r'| at a given point by adding together an infinite number of terms. It is commonly used in physics to calculate the force between two charged particles at a distance r from each other.

2. How is the Taylor expansion of 1/|r-r'| derived?

The Taylor expansion of 1/|r-r'| is derived using the Maclaurin series, which is a special case of the Taylor series. It involves taking derivatives of 1/|r-r'| at a specific point and plugging them into the general formula for the Taylor series.

3. What is the significance of the Taylor expansion of 1/|r-r'| in physics?

The Taylor expansion of 1/|r-r'| plays a crucial role in calculating the force between two charged particles in physics. It allows for a more accurate and precise calculation of this force, which is essential in understanding the behavior of particles in electric fields.

4. Can the Taylor expansion of 1/|r-r'| be used for any distance between the particles?

Technically, the Taylor expansion of 1/|r-r'| can be used for any distance between the particles. However, it becomes less accurate as the distance gets larger. Therefore, it is typically only used for small distances between the particles.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Taylor expansion of 1/|r-r'|?

Yes, there are limitations to using the Taylor expansion of 1/|r-r'|. As mentioned before, it becomes less accurate as the distance between the particles increases. Additionally, it assumes that the particles are point charges with no size, which may not be the case in real-world situations.