PCI express for board-to-board link.

• Thread starter fiedel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Link
In summary, the conversation is about connecting two processing boards with PCI express x8 using off-board connectors and cables. The speaker is looking for information on how to match the 98 pins on the edge connector to the 68 pins on the off-board connector. They have read the PCI Express Card Electromechanical Specification but are unable to find information on the 68-pin connector. They are also concerned about impedance control, cable length, and signal integrity. They mention that Molex has a pinout description and provides different cable length options, but they are still unsure about impedance control. They also mention a draft of the PCI Express External Cabling specification, but several chapters are missing. Another speaker in the conversation is also trying to achieve
fiedel
I want to interface two processing boards with PCI express x8 and connect them with cables. I find 68-pin off-board connectors for x8 connection (by molex) where as there're 98 pins for edge connectors. How do I match these 98 to 68? Are there some documents talking about this? I read PCI Express Card Electromechanical Specification, but there's only edge connector definition inside. Is this 68-pin connector also standard?

Engineering news on Phys.org
fiedel said:
I want to interface two processing boards with PCI express x8 and connect them with cables. I find 68-pin off-board connectors for x8 connection (by molex) where as there're 98 pins for edge connectors. How do I match these 98 to 68? Are there some documents talking about this? I read PCI Express Card Electromechanical Specification, but there's only edge connector definition inside. Is this 68-pin connector also standard?

Does Molex have any application notes for that connector?

Beyond the electromechanical issues, how long are these cables? What is your plan for impedance control, terminations, and signal integrity?

Well, I see the pinout description on their website, for cable assemblies.

Molex provides several selection for cable length. Impedance control is another problem for me. I can only find such information for edge connectors. It must have been defined in PCI Express External Cabling specification. I can only find a draft of it, in which several chapters are missing...

I am trying to do the exact same thing. How did this work out for you?

1. What is PCI express for board-to-board link?

PCI express for board-to-board link is a high-speed serial computer expansion bus standard that is used to connect peripheral devices to a computer's motherboard. It is commonly used for connecting graphics cards, network cards, and storage devices to a computer system.

2. How does PCI express for board-to-board link work?

PCI express for board-to-board link uses a point-to-point architecture, which means that each device is connected directly to the motherboard without the need for a shared bus. This allows for faster and more efficient communication between devices.

3. What are the benefits of using PCI express for board-to-board link?

Some of the key benefits of using PCI express for board-to-board link include increased bandwidth, lower latency, and the ability to connect multiple devices simultaneously. This makes it an ideal choice for high-performance computing applications.

4. How is PCI express for board-to-board link different from other computer bus standards?

Unlike other bus standards such as PCI and AGP, which use a parallel architecture, PCI express for board-to-board link uses a serial architecture. This allows for higher data transfer rates and better scalability.

5. What are the different versions of PCI express for board-to-board link?

The most commonly used versions of PCI express for board-to-board link are PCIe 1.0, PCIe 2.0, PCIe 3.0, and PCIe 4.0. Each version offers increased bandwidth and improved performance compared to the previous version.