Calculating e, using matlab (how to get answer in double type)

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with their script that calculates the value of "e" using Euler's method. They are having trouble with the output only displaying up to 4 decimal places and are asking for assistance in increasing the precision. The expert suggests changing the format of the strings or using the "fprintf" function for more precision.
seto6

Homework Statement

ok i am using Euler's way, i have to calculate "e"=2.718281828.

my script(see below) works but it only prints up to 4 decimal places, i have no idea why, help me please, thank you in advance.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Code:
function [eis] = euler1(in)
c=in-1;

while c>=1,

if c == double(in-1),
        Q = double(c+(c/in));
    end

Q= double(c + (c/Q));

alpha = double(Q);
    c=c-1;
end
eis = 2+ 1/(double(alpha));

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's several ways to do this. The easy way is to just change the way strings are formatted.

>> help format

For more precision, try

>> help fprintf

1. What is the value of e in matlab?

The value of e in matlab is a mathematical constant that is approximately equal to 2.71828.

2. How do I calculate e in matlab?

To calculate e in matlab, you can use the command "exp(1)" or "exp(1.0)" to get the value of e. This function raises e to the power of the input argument.

3. How do I get the answer in double type when calculating e in matlab?

To get the answer in double type when calculating e in matlab, you can use the "double" function to convert the output to a double data type. For example, you can use "double(exp(1))" to get the value of e in double type.

4. Can I change the precision of the calculated e value in matlab?

Yes, you can change the precision of the calculated e value in matlab by using the "format" command. For example, you can use "format long" to display the e value with a higher precision or "format short" for a lower precision.

5. Is there a built-in function to calculate e in matlab?

Yes, there is a built-in function in matlab called "exp" that calculates e. This function can take in an input argument and raise e to that power, or you can simply use "exp(1)" to get the value of e itself.