Order of systems/signal classes important?

In summary, A physics student is interested in taking systems/signals classes through the EE department and is unsure about the order in which to take them. They are considering two options: 1) continuous systems/signals -> discrete systems/signals -> graduate and learn DSP on their own/job/gradschool or 2) discrete systems/signals -> digital signal processing -> continuous systems/signals & digital signal processing lab. They are concerned about encountering material from continuous systems in the DSP class and are unsure about the usefulness of continuous systems in general. They are also wondering if taking a class in statistics/engr statistics would be beneficial for a career in signals.
flemmyd
So I'm a physics student interested in taking some systems/signals classes through the EE department at my school. There are 3-4 separate classes I'm interested in taking:

continuous systems/signals
discrete systems/signals
digital signal processing
digital signal processing lab

I'm not an EE major, so I can't take the class in the usual order (as above).
All I'm asking is if the order matters. I'm stuck between two course orders

1. continuous systems/signals -> discrete systems/signals -> graduate and learn DSP on my own/job/gradschool
2. discrete systems/signals -> digital signal processing -> continuous systems/signals & digital signal processing lab (maybe this class)

I just don't want to do route 2, get into DSP class and be confronted with lots of stuff from the continuous systems. I'm also curious how useful continuous systems are. I've tried looking up examples via google, but all I've ever seen was "an example of continuous systems is the AC outlet".

Lastly, how useful would it be to take a class in statistics/engr statistics if I went into signals? I would still have to take stat mech (at the same time as the DSP class if route 2/before any systems class if route 1).

Engineering news on Phys.org
bump? this being an EE subforum, i figure everyone would have SOME experience with signal processing...

1. What is the significance of understanding the order of systems/signal classes?

Understanding the order of systems/signal classes is important because it helps in analyzing and designing systems and signals. The order of a system/signal refers to the number of past and present inputs that affect the current output. It is a crucial factor in determining the stability and behavior of a system/signal.

2. How is the order of a system/signal determined?

The order of a system/signal can be determined by examining the differential or difference equations that describe its behavior. The highest power of the derivative or the difference operator in the equations corresponds to the order of the system/signal.

3. How does the order affect the complexity of a system/signal?

The order of a system/signal is directly related to its complexity. Higher order systems/signals require more inputs and past states to determine their current output, making them more complex to analyze and design.

4. Can the order of a system/signal change over time?

No, the order of a system/signal is a fixed characteristic that does not change over time. However, in certain cases, the order of a system/signal may appear to change due to nonlinearities or time-varying parameters.

5. How does the order affect the stability of a system?

The order of a system/signal is directly related to its stability. In general, higher order systems/signals are more difficult to stabilize and can exhibit more complex behavior compared to lower order systems/signals.