Is the Flux Density 1 Tesla if a Wire Over 1 Square Meter Produces 1 Volt?

• Thread starter magnetics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tesla
In summary: So, if you had a wire that was producing a magnetic field at a rate of 1 Wb/sec, and it passed over a surface that had an area of 1 square meter, then the flux density would be 1 tesla. However, if you had the same wire that was producing the 1V EMF and it passed over the same surface, the flux density would be 10,000 times greater because the AC magnetic field is only doing 1/100,000th of the work. In summary, the flux density is 1 tesla only if the wire is producing the 1V EMF.
magnetics
Hi,

If by convention 1 Wb/sec will produce 1 V; and

1 Tesla is 1 Wb/m2

Assuming we had a large enough surface area of a uniform field B...

If we passed a wire over exactly 1 square meter and it produced exactly 1 volt would it be true that the flux density is 1 Tesla?

Physics news on Phys.org
So I am wondering why after 148 views of this question there has not been one response. Is this typical? Is the question too difficult, easy or confusing? Do I need to post some more background information?
Please let me know.

I studied physics in 1st year college many years ago and have recently become very interested in the workings, applications and theories of magnets.

The question and answer seems obvious to me and maybe to you but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something.

If the "square meter" is a 1 meter by 1 meter square, and the wire spans that region parallel to one of the sides, and the wire moves at constant speed, and it takes 1 second to traverse the square meter, and you get a constant emf of 1 volt during that 1 second, then you have a uniform magnetic field of 1 tesla in that square-meter region.

magnetics said:
Hi,

If by convention 1 Wb/sec will produce 1 V; and

1 Tesla is 1 Wb/m2

Assuming we had a large enough surface area of a uniform field B...

If we passed a wire over exactly 1 square meter and it produced exactly 1 volt would it be true that the flux density is 1 Tesla?

It's not so much that it's a tough question, it's just posed in a sort of non-standard way.

When you say "1 Wb/sec will produce 1 V", that's not quite right. For an AC magnetic field with a value that is changing ar a rate of 1 Wb/sec, then that will produce the 1V EMF. You can get that with a sinusoidally varying field with a peak change rate of 1 Wb/s, in which case at the moments when the changing field is at that rate of change, you get the 1V peak output. You could also get the value with a ramping magnetic field, I suppose, but a sinusoidally varying field is more common in magnetic circuits.

This is a great question about the relationship between Weber and Tesla. To answer your question, yes, it would be true that the flux density is 1 Tesla if the wire produces exactly 1 volt over 1 square meter. This is because, as you stated, 1 Tesla is equal to 1 Wb/m2. Therefore, if the wire is producing 1 Wb and the area is 1 m2, the flux density would indeed be 1 Tesla.

However, it is important to note that this scenario assumes a perfectly uniform magnetic field and a perfect wire with no resistance. In reality, there may be variations in the magnetic field and the wire may have some resistance, which could affect the voltage produced. Additionally, the strength of the magnetic field may also affect the voltage produced, as it is directly proportional to the number of turns in the wire.

Overall, the relationship between Weber and Tesla is a crucial one in understanding the behavior of magnetic fields and their effects on conductors. Thank you for asking this thought-provoking question.

What is the difference between Weber and Tesla?

The main difference between Weber and Tesla is that Weber is a unit of magnetic flux while Tesla is a unit of magnetic flux density. Weber is represented as Wb while Tesla is represented as T.

What is the significance of Weber and Tesla in electromagnetism?

Weber and Tesla are both units used to measure different aspects of magnetic fields in electromagnetism. Weber is used to measure the total amount of magnetic flux passing through a surface, while Tesla is used to measure the strength of a magnetic field at a specific point.

How are Weber and Tesla related?

Weber and Tesla are related through the equation B = Φ/A, where B represents magnetic flux density in Tesla, Φ represents magnetic flux in Weber, and A represents the area through which the magnetic flux passes.

What is the conversion factor between Weber and Tesla?

The conversion factor between Weber and Tesla is 1 Tesla = 1 Weber per square meter (1 T = 1 Wb/m²).

Can Weber and Tesla be used interchangeably?

No, Weber and Tesla cannot be used interchangeably as they measure different aspects of magnetic fields. Weber measures the total amount of magnetic flux, while Tesla measures the strength of a magnetic field at a specific point.