Polar Coordinates: Arc length of two overlapping curves

In summary, the question is about finding the perimeter inside of the curve r=15sin(theta) and outside of r = 1. The challenge is finding the angle in which to compute the problem, specifically for what value of theta would the result be 1/15. It is not possible to express \sin^{-1}x in terms of rational multiples of \pi, making it a transcendental function. However, in this particular problem, the appearances of \sin^{-1}(1/15) cancel out in the final result.
Badgerspin
This question may be something of a dumb one. I feel I should know this, but well, I don't.

I'm being asked to find the perimeter inside of the curve r=15sin(theta) and outside of r = 1

Setting up the equation I can do. If it were just an indefinite integral, this would be cake. My challenge right now is finding the angle in which to compute the problem. From where to where? Let x = theta

15sin(x) = 1
Sin(x) = 1/15

For what value of theta would I get 1/15? I can get the numeric value by taking the arcsin, but I need to be able to show it in the format (pi/#, or perhaps ((#pi)/#).

While I'm on that note, for future reference, is there any easy way to compute something like this where I'm being asked oddball angles?

Physics news on Phys.org
Badgerspin said:
For what value of theta would I get 1/15? I can get the numeric value by taking the arcsin, but I need to be able to show it in the format (pi/#, or perhaps ((#pi)/#).

While I'm on that note, for future reference, is there any easy way to compute something like this where I'm being asked oddball angles?

In general you cannot express [tex]\sin^{-1}x[/tex] in terms of rational multiples of [tex]\pi[/tex]. You can't express [tex]\sin \phi[/tex] in elementary terms either for general [tex]\phi[/tex] either. That why these functions are referred to by the term transcendental.

In this particular problem, it looks like the appearances of [tex]\sin^{-1}(1/15)[/tex] cancel out in the final result, so you never have to worry about it.

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a system of describing points in a two-dimensional space using a distance from the origin and an angle from a reference line. They are often used when working with circular or curved shapes.

2. How is the arc length of two overlapping curves calculated using polar coordinates?

The arc length of two overlapping curves in polar coordinates can be calculated by using the formula: L = ∫√(r^2 + (dθ)^2) dθ, where r is the radius of the curves and dθ is the angle between them.

3. Why is it important to use polar coordinates when calculating arc length?

Polar coordinates are particularly useful when working with curved or circular shapes, as they simplify the calculation of arc length by taking into account the distance from the origin and the angle between the curves. This makes the calculation more accurate and efficient.

4. Can polar coordinates be used to calculate the arc length of any curved shape?

Yes, polar coordinates can be used to calculate the arc length of any curved shape, as long as the shape can be represented in polar form. This includes circles, ellipses, and other curved shapes.

5. Are there any limitations to using polar coordinates for calculating arc length?

One limitation of using polar coordinates for calculating arc length is that it can only be used for two-dimensional shapes. Additionally, it may be more challenging to visualize and work with polar coordinates compared to cartesian coordinates for some individuals.