What is the best way to incorporate accelerometers into a 3D positioning system?

In summary: If you're using stepper motors, you can generally just count the steps...My original idea was to use a servo control arm and use an accelerometer to track the movement. I would really like to use the accelerometers i have so I'm thinking about going a different direction with the project... maybe a arm that you can control by attaching accelerometers to your shoulder and elbow. The steppers are a good idea though. I'm just trying to come up with a good project that would satisfy the requirements of my senior project, unfortunately I am really not an idea man.In summary, you are trying to create a kind of rudimentary 3d positioning system, sort of like a CNC minus the machining aspect.
nclay
I am trying to create a kind of rudimentary 3d positioning system, sort of like a CNC minus the machining aspect. I am just trying to get my very basic design down and I am stuck at how i should get the position data, my first thought was to use an accelerometer placed at the tip of the actuator arm but I am wondering if there is a better way to go... I've been doing lots of research on accelerometers and they seem to only work well with tilt. Any suggestions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
nclay said:
I am trying to create a kind of rudimentary 3d positioning system, sort of like a CNC minus the machining aspect. I am just trying to get my very basic design down and I am stuck at how i should get the position data, my first thought was to use an accelerometer placed at the tip of the actuator arm but I am wondering if there is a better way to go... I've been doing lots of research on accelerometers and they seem to only work well with tilt. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the PF.

You can use rotary or linear encoders, depending on what you are using to create the movements. Limit switches can be used to zero out the counts, when you return the motion assembly to its home position.

Thanks berkeman! That was exactly what i was looking for... these things arent cheap! Gonna blow my budget.

Thanks again!
-Nick

nclay said:
Thanks berkeman! That was exactly what i was looking for... these things arent cheap! Gonna blow my budget.

Thanks again!
-Nick

How are you creating the motion? If you're using stepper motors, you can generally just count the steps...

My original idea was to use a servo control arm and use an accelerometer to track the movement. I would really like to use the accelerometers i have so I'm thinking about going a different direction with the project... maybe a arm that you can control by attaching accelerometers to your shoulder and elbow. The steppers are a good idea though. I'm just trying to come up with a good project that would satisfy the requirements of my senior project, unfortunately I am really not an idea man.

1. What is 3d positioning?

3d positioning is a method used to determine the location of an object or point in three-dimensional space. It involves using mathematical calculations and specialized tools such as sensors, cameras, and software to accurately measure the position and orientation of an object.

2. Why is 3d positioning important?

3d positioning is important because it allows for precise measurement and control over the position and orientation of objects in three-dimensional space. This is essential in various industries such as robotics, navigation, virtual reality, and augmented reality, where accurate positioning is crucial for successful operation.

3. What are the different methods of 3d positioning?

There are several methods of 3d positioning, including triangulation, trilateration, time of flight, and simultaneous localization and mapping (SLAM). Each method uses different techniques and technologies to determine the position of an object in 3D space.

4. How accurate is 3d positioning?

The accuracy of 3d positioning depends on various factors such as the method used, the quality of the tools and sensors, and environmental conditions. In general, modern 3d positioning systems can achieve sub-centimeter accuracy, making them suitable for a wide range of applications.

5. What are some common applications of 3d positioning?

3d positioning has numerous applications, including mapping and surveying, autonomous vehicles, industrial automation, gaming, and virtual and augmented reality. It is also used in navigation systems for ships, aircraft, and spacecraft, as well as in medical imaging and robotics.